64 chevy truck power steering help needed

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racer32

I've got a problem with the power steering (factory) on my truck....it has no assist turning left. Seems to have decent boost turning right, but to the left it is a BEAR to turn. Isn't there some way to make an adjustment on the power ram to balance the line pressure? THANKS!

I've got a problem with the power steering (factory) on my truck....it has no assist turning left. Seems to have decent boost turning right, but to the left it is a BEAR to turn. Isn't there some way to make an adjustment on the power ram to balance the line pressure? THANKS!

You have an internal problem with your gearbox. Unless you have rebuilt one before, I`d recommend getting a used one from the junkyard. If memory serves me correct, a steering box from any Chevy pickup up to `79 is a direct (or near direct) swap. In 1980 Chevy went to metric fittings on the hoses.

Someone chime in if I`m wrong.

Original PS for 64 was the RAM ROD cylinder ( like the early 'vettes )

IF , I'm not mistaken ...

Personally , I'd convert over using the REZ Engineering kit & up-grade to a late model box & pump.

I know I can buy a different steering set-up. And yes, it is the type with a hydraulic ram. I can't remember how to adjust the control valve (or if it can be adjusted on the truck system). On the Corvette you could adjust it. I really don't want to convert to late box; I want try and fix what's already on the truck.

Donman, I don't think that 60-66 Chevy used the same box as the 67-79.

Got a chance to throw a jack under the truck today. With both front wheels off the ground the effort is the same in either direction-tight any very easy to turn. Turning right, the pump will whine/hiss when the steering hits the stop-not an abnormal whine, but what you would expect. Wheels to the left on the stop there is no sound from the pump. Is my control valve bad or the power ram? It does not creep to one side like a Corvette will if the control valve needs adjusting, so I don't think adjustment is the issue. I'm assuming that if I've got ANY assist the pump is good. The box doesn't have any slop and with the wheels off the ground I can't tell any diference in effort, so I don't suspect the box...Donman, why did you say the box was bad? What "internal problem" could it have.

OK-so I found out how to balance my control valve on a Corvette site and still have no boost turning left. Looks like I get to replace some parts, but don't want to do more than necessary. Donman, why did you say the box is bad?

i don't know for sure if the 67 to 72 box will work, have been told it will. i do know that the 73 up box will not fit without frame mods. i don't know anything about the ramrod system, but when i find a 67 to 72 i will try to put one in my 63 truck.

odie

i don't know for sure if the 67 to 72 box will work, have been told it will. i do know that the 73 up box will not fit without frame mods. i don't know anything about the ramrod system, but when i find a 67 to 72 i will try to put one in my 63 truck.

odie

The frame mount adapter kit that classic performance sells says it takes a 68-87 box. Looks to be a bolt-on swap except for cutting the steering shaft apart, shortening it, and welding it back together. If I was looking to ADD power steering it would be the way I would go. However, I've already got factory PS.

I can replace both the control valve and ram for less expense than the kit and the associated later model steering box, pump, and hoses. The control valve and power ram can be swapped out in just a few minutes, and it also won't require any cut and weld surgery on the steering shaft if I replace the stock parts.

The truck is my only transportion at the moment, so I can't afford to tear into it and get stuck with it inoperable. I'm planning on ordering the ram first, since the one on the truck now is pretty worn. If that doesn't fix it I'll replace or rebuild the control valve.

Racer32,
www.67-72chevytrucks.com
Register there, make a quickie intro, then make an appropriate post in the forum catagory for the year of your truck.

Those guys can just about answer any truck related question you have.

Sorry I can't be of more help, that's the best I can offer.

racer32

i did take the old colum out of my truck and put a newer colum in it. the old one was a solid rod, the new one is a collaspable (spelling) rod (safer). i will check on the adaptor for the steering box. thanks for the info.

odie

Latest posts

Back