66 El Camino

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyDon

Thought I'd post a few pics of my el camino. It may not exactly fit the definition of a rat rod, but I intend to embrace some of the concepts. I'm not doing a "proper" restoration, which might offend some. Most of you on here probably won't mind though. I'm not going to spend a lot of time or money on cosmetics, I intend to use stuff I have laying around as much as possible, and I want it to ride decent and smoke the tires on demand. Oh, and it'll be flat black. If any of you have any suggestions for her, please let me know. Always open to ideas. Didn't think to take a pic before I started tearing into it. This is the first one I got.
Don

Attachments

• phone pics 1 021.jpg
    phone pics 1 021.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 46
Here's one of the interior after ripping out the seat, carpet, etc.

And this is an engine that's been sitting in my garage for thirteen years, waiting for a home. I cleaned it up and put a new intake on her that's been sitting in a box for nearly as long.

Attachments

• phone pics 1 023.jpg
    phone pics 1 023.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 31
  • phone pics2 002.jpg
    phone pics2 002.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 44
That thing looks bitchin' just the way it is, please don't **** up that nice old original paint & patina by painting it flat black!!!

Dragfink, If the whole car looked like the front fenders, I wouldn't touch it. Unfortunately they're from a different car and the rest of this one has a really poor re-paint job with lots of orange peel, blisters and chips with the original aqua blue poking through. It's gotta go.

ratty34, the engine is nothing special really. It's just a 350 I used to run in a street stock 64 chevelle back in the mid 90's. It's balanced and has a few little tricks in it. I had just freshened it, went out and won the feature race and they closed the track. I went racing elsewhere with different rules, so it has been sitting since then. I have a muncie M-21, close ratio that will be going in it and I'm looking for a 9" ford to put in her. I have one sitting in the shop, but it's way too wide and is a wide 5 bolt pattern, so too much work to convert that one. I'll just run the stock 10 bolt until I find one at a decent price. Got a ton of work to do before it hits the road anyway.

Here's a couple more pics of what I've been working on. The windshield channel and front edge of the dash were rusted through so I had to put repair panels in.

Attachments

• pics2 041.jpg
    pics2 041.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 26
  • pics2 048.jpg
    pics2 048.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 26

Latest posts

Back