'69 Corvette

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TiredIronGRB

Traditionalist
Here's my newest project...these first four pictures are where it was stored.

It started out as a 427/4 speed and had been bracket raced for several years. When I found the car it had been in storage for 12 years and still had the '70s black and purple paint job, the car had been back-halfed just before going into storage.
The rear axle, wheels and tires have never turned under power. I picked this thing up cheap...less than the cost of the axle and wheels.

vette1.jpg

The hood will need a larger cut out for the Tunnel Ram.

vette2.jpg

It sits on Weld wheels with GoodYear Eagle front runners and 31x 10.5 slicks in the rear. It has Wildwood disc brakes in the rear factory in the front.

vette5.jpg

The rear end is a truck D60 cut down and has olds big bearing ends. Moser axles, 35 spline strange spool, spicer 4.88 gear,strange aluminum bearing caps w/ DTS cover to preload bearing caps. everything in the rear axle is new. It has a 4 link with a wishbone and Koni coilovers also has wheelie bars.

vette6.jpg

vette17.JPG

vette18.JPG

Will probably leave the old paint, most of it has a nice flat finish...even the "new" Weld wheels have a nice satin patina which will probably stay.

vette19.JPG

vette20.JPG

vette24.JPG

All the wiring is gone so I plan to do a simple 11 circut harness. Flooring will probably just get Herculiner.

vette23.JPG

New wheelie bars, had never been installed. Will probably drop the car 2" more.

vette26.JPG

Started getting the engine bay ready for paint.

vette27.JPG

vette28.JPG

Picked up a low mileage 454 out of a '75 Chevelle, added a Crane cam, WEIAND Tunnel Ram and two 600 cfm Holleys. I will probably ditch the Moroso covers for some old ribbed Micky Ts.

vette31.JPG

400 Turbo with new seals, filter, deep pan and 2200 rpm stall converter.

Fabed up a battery box, blocked off where the heater box was, painted all the engine bay, painted the radiator and installed the electric fan, put the transmission in then set the engine in and fabed up some throttle linkage.

vette32.JPG

vette33.JPG

vette34.JPG

Got a lot more done the last few evenings.

vette44.JPG

Mounted the fuel cell so I can still use the original fuel filler location.

vette45.JPG

vette46.JPG

Fuel system is plumbed in, started on the wiring.

vette48.JPG

vette50.JPG

Started finishing the roll cage.

Yea, I was very careful when I put the new tires on not to disturb the "Patina" on the wheels...it's funny the wheels and tires still had the stickers on them when I went and got it but had 12 years of "aging".

Wow that sad, How could someone put in so much work and not even tear it up a little?

Latest posts

Back