80s mustang compatability?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahskip1

Hello,

I would like to know if anyone knows what vehicle models have the same motor,drive shaft,rear end as an 80s mustang. From what I've heard, the Explorer V8, and Mountaineer V8 are the same as the mustang, unless these motors are the 4.6? I'm not sure. Any help woul be appreciated. BTW, I plan on building a '46 ford bobber truck.

Hello,

I would like to know if anyone knows what vehicle models have the same motor,drive shaft,rear end as an 80s mustang. From what I've heard, the Explorer V8, and Mountaineer V8 are the same as the mustang, unless these motors are the 4.6? I'm not sure. Any help woul be appreciated. BTW, I plan on building a '46 ford bobber truck.

Continental Mark IV (or is it V?) and Mercury Capri - from the same years are the same. I think the Explorers have a longer driveshaft and maybe a wider diff.
I had to shorten the Mustang drive shaft to use it, so the length of the donor driveshaft may not be an issue.
Any full size Ford cars or trucks and Mercs of that era could be considered for donor drivetrains. The trucks would be likely to have 351's and lower gears.

4.6 Mod motors started in the '90's (93?). It's easy to tell them from a 302/5.0.

Mark V LSC is darn near identical vehicle under the skin...differences that come immediately to mind are 5-lug wheels and air suspension. Still got the five point oh H.O. under that cool long hood.

As mentioned above, the Capri Fox-Body cars will also have the 5.0. H.O. Grand Marquis and Crown Vic also had 5.0, but low-po non-H.O. IIRC, about 15HP lower in factory trim (210 vs. 225 for the H.O.).

F-150, Econoline vans were available with 5.0 and 5.8 (302 or 351 c.i.) fuelie engines, but the intakes were MUCH taller, due to bigger intake plenums and longer runners designed to generate more torque for hauling.

Explorers could be had with 5.0 V-8's, I believe up until about 2000. Might be wrong about the exact year cutoff. I believe they were also a lo-po non-H.O. version.

Any one of these engines would be a good choice. LOTS of aftermarket stuff and they're all pretty reliable, generally speaking. That says alot coming from me, as I'm a Chevy guy at heart.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Shea:)

shea has the details, except from what i understand the explorer/mountaneer that used the 5.0 was the HO version; however there are differences in almost all of them (after all we are dealing with ford-the world's worst at interchange&compatibility) as far as the actual chassis is concerned the fox body 'stang did get the majority of its underpinnings from the fairmont line as ol blue mentioned.....those fox body platforms are good cars-but the front susp. is not a good one to swap over to a hot/street/rat rod IMO

Latest posts

Back