91 s10 fuel injection to carburated?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmitty hags

any cheap tips on how to do this?
i know its got the basic 4.3 chevy engine in it?
can i buy an old carb and manifold off something else?
or do i have to buy this stuff new?

I've got an 89 s10 with the 4.3 and have thought about the same thing. I've done it on a Ford's 300I6. Different intake, carb, distributor, electric fuel pump. If you can get the parts cheap, I guess.

Not sure that motor is worth the trouble though. Mine is V6 power with V8 style MPG.

well my intentions are to just take it out of the s10 chassis with the tranny and rearend and put it in my model a frame.
any suggestions again?

Two choices.

1) Transplant the electronics, modules and wiring.

2) Spend the money and convert like Sam said, which means aftermarket pieces. There is no cheap junkyard method. (All 4.3's were EFI/computer).

I also parted out an S10, and kept the 4.3 thinking carb conversion. I scrapped that plan when reality set in. When you're done, you still have a stock 6, which seems like a waste of time and money to me.

I did a '96 5.0(305) by swapping intake and dist.Here is a carb intake for 4.3

http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/2111/10002/-1

350-2111.jpg

Did a quick search. The 85-86 Astro van used a 4.3L with a carb manifold. Not sure if it was electronic carb. I forgot my 89 is actually TBI, not EFI. Wonder what the CFM is needed for those.

Last edited:

Well the TBI system is very simple, it uses very few sensors like 4-6 depending, so the wiring is pretty simple on those. The main brain is behind the glove box, unplug that then all ur wires come out threw the fire wall, every thing that doesnt got to the motor isnt needed except the main power and accesory wire and ground.[S its pretty simple, just dive in and start tearin it up[cl

Yes TBI, not EFI. My mistake. You put me to work, I found this...

"In 1985, the 4.3L was either equipped with throttle-body fuel injection, RPO LB4 or a Rochester Quadrajet 4-Barrel carburetor, RPO LB1. The Chevrolet full-size sedans and the Chevrolet El Camino used the LB4 rated at 130 hp (97 kW). Pick-ups and Vans used the LB1 version rated at 155 hp (116 kW)."

No idea if that's an electronic carb or if the manifold will accept anything else.

I'll stick to SBC's and BBC's. This stuff gives me a headache. :D

yea the astros do have the carburators on them. however... its almost impossible to find one that hasnt hit the dust from what i hear?

is the wiring really that simple?
i have the cab off already and the bed.
all i need to do is just follow the wires to the engine and keep those?
and yank out all the others?
hmmm.

so will that manifold fit the 4.3 then?

4.3 to carb

Schmitty Hags Sorry I just seen this question, it can be done here is what you need to do it. ebay #'s 160669519531 1 wire dist. 300672511181 carb. adapter. then just get a carb. and take all that extra crap off the motor.

Leave the TBI, it is EFI. It's just not Multi-point sequential electronic fuel injection. You allready own everything you need to make it run. Put a cool air cleaner on it and other than the O2 sensor in the exhaust no one will know the difference anyway. It is a simple system that will give you easy starting in any weather and probably equal performance with better economy than a carb. Save the dough for some cool v8 down the line.

My daily driver is a 91 S-10 Blazer with a 4.3 TBI....I've thought many times about going carb instead of the throttle body, but my brother who is a full time certified mechanic with decades of experience, consistantly talks against it, and claims I'm far better off with the TBI....so thats where I've left it....the only mod I've done is going with true dual exhaust, and that really boosted my low end torque and cruising milage.

I did this change-over in my daily S-10 Blazer.
1. aftermarket Edelbrock intake (used)
2. 450 CFM Holley 4-bbl
3. 229 V6 HEI , non-computer distributor
4. first used a bypass fuel regulator
5. switched to an inline pump

It now gets 2 mpg more then with the CPI set-up.....with no computer

weld on......[;)

Latest posts

Back