'95 Roadmaster Donor for '37 Roadmaster

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutt's37Buick

Got to tell everyone I'm pretty stoked. After lots of research and searching I finally bought a donor car for my '37 Buick Roadmaster.
I bought a '95 Roadmaster with a LT1 engine, 4L60E transmission, Impala SS wheels, and only 52K miles.
I'm not planning on using the rear drive because I already have '97 Tbird irs.
I am planning on using the engine, transmission, steering column, wheels, leather heated seats (with some mods), instrument cluster, electrical harness.
1) Does anyone know if I can use the:
electric windows,
power locks,
door hinges,
air ride system on my t-bird irs,
floor to replace wood floor in my '37,
and AC & heating systems?
Thanks

Mutt, You can use EVERYTHING, your only limitation is your ability to retrofit the modern parts to your 37. You act like there`s some kind of rules or standards that are acceptable to build your car.The government hasn`t taken over hot rodding yet.

That's not what I meant.
Should have asked:
Does anyone know how difficult it will be to use '95 Roadmaster:
electric windows,
power locks,
door hinges,
air ride system on my t-bird irs,
floor to replace wood floor in my '37,
and AC & heating systems?
Thanks

Its like anything else, its going to take some engineering, and ingenuity to make things like that work.
you can probably graft in the hinges, and locks, latches to work without a whole lot of issue if they are not too thick to fit in your '37 doors.

I mean, hey if you run into some major issues, you have some of the most skilled and imaginative rodders to give advice, ideas, poke fun, etc...

Can't hurt to try! go for it!

Thanks for all your feedback.
This site has been very helpful in showing me what can be done and helping me plan my build.
One hot rod builder said that the trans hump of the '95 Roadmaster floor may not be tall enough in my '37, just depends on where the engine and trans sit.
He said if it is not tall enough I can build a custom hump.
1) If the hump is not tall enough, is it still worthwhile to cut out the donor floor?
2) The metal on the newer car is probably thinner than my '37 Buick. Is it thick enough or would I be better off with thicker metal.
3) Are the replacement panels that can be bought a lot easier to install and can anyone recommend a good source if I go that route?
Thanks

One step at a time.
Plan ahead, but it's probably going to change, somewhat anyway.....
Get "the basics" installed, then tackle the "other things" .
All-in-time and you're going to be spending more time on it than you ever thought, but that's the way it gets done and IT'S YOURS....
Do it YOUR WAY !

What TexA said.
Don't cut any sheetmetal until you have a rolling chassis.
When the engine and tranny get set, where you want them (height and front to back positioning) that will determine how you build the firewall and tranny hump.

it will surely be thinner, but it was thick enough for a 95 roadmaster, so it will be thick enough for your 37

Problem with the newer floor is all the contours in it. They are not going to fit the older cars shape. The older cars floor is mostly flat. I would set in the motor, trans and rear suspension into the frame. Then drop / mod the body to fit. Then tackle the floor.

Issue 2 will be the window motors, locks and latches. If I remember correctly the newer buick window regulator is one big piece and the doors were thicker. You might be able to trim down the reg to work in the older, smaller, thinner door. The door lock actuators mount to the regulator. The latch is seperate so I suppose you can move the lock stuff to where ever you want to and make longer rods.

Should be fun! We will all watch and comment as needed. [;)

Thanks for pointing different considerations on the floor.
I'll decide decide on the floor after the chassis is complete.
1) Is it typical to use the original window tracks, or upgrade them.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back