98 Civic rebuild... Yes, 98 Civic...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope y'all don't mind if I bump my old thread... But since I already basically have a build thread for this car no sense in starting another...

Plans for this year (as soon as I take care of a few bills) are to chop the top, air ride, 14x10 +12 offset steelies, and french the entire rear of the car and roll it under like an early model coupe. (I'm gonna need your help on this one)

The air ride I can handle no problem.
Getting the new wheels to fit may be a slight issue, but nothing a hammer, jack handle, relief cuts and welding can't fix.
The chop top and custom sheet metal work on the rear I'm gonna need some help with.

I've got the basics on chopping a top from watching guys that taught me how to work on cars. I understand bracing, relief cutting, sectioning and I can weld. However this flimsy Honda metal is going to be a PITA to work with. I've also worked out the details on the glass.

As far as plans for the rear I plan on ditching the rear bumper cover and rolling the sheet metal under similar to early model coupes. (if that makes any sense). Also, since I'm chopping the top, I'm planning on welding the rear hatch shut since it'll be completely useless then along with shaving the tail lights, back glass and OEM tag box. I plan on frenching in what I call a peep window like what you'd see on a chop top coupe, new tails lights and a tag box.

Any advice you guys have on these particular subjects would be great.

Any chop on that car is gonna be all about the glass. If you have that figured out, the rest can be hammered out.

Any chop on that car is gonna be all about the glass. If you have that figured out, the rest can be hammered out.

I've got a source on some either laminated safety plexi or lexan. All windows will be done in one of these except for the roll up windows on the doors. As far as the rear window goes.... I plan on ditching it and installing something like....

ebay-rats-ford-tudor-002-02.jpg

Latest posts

Back