A couple of idea's I'm working on.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sniper

Canadian Rust Bucket
About to gear up and start the frame for the Fiat Gasser. Instead of 2 X 3 or 2 X 4 rectangular tube frame. Thought maybe a frame built from 1 7/8 X 120 thou wall tubing. Laid out like a space frame, but without the smaller upright and truss tubes, instead 1/8 plate to box in the sides. Tubes can be bent from a taper at the front to what ever depth I decide on at the firewall. With what ever bends needed at/under the body to follow the inner edge of the body contour. A hard 90 at the rear of the cab area and another 90 on up and continue over the rearend with what ever bends are required. A quick drawing with what I have in mind shows the constuction of the frame.

The other drawing is an idea I had a couple of years ago for a muffler in a header collector. A flap operated by a handle on the outside, would direct the exhaust flow either through the muffler, or let it free flow around and past it. You could decide if you want the exhaust to have a little bark, or a lot of bite. The electric operated flaps came out right at the same time I was drawing this up. For the price of them, I'd be happy to get out and shift the lever by hand.;)

Attachments

• Frame 1.jpg
    Frame 1.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Muffler 1.jpg
    Muffler 1.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 43
I think your onto something with the muffler idea Sniper. I like it anyway. Sounds like it would work just fine to me. You absolutely right about the cost of the electric cutouts. There's a lot less to worry about installing, wiring, etc..too. A Manual lever sounds like the way to go.

Thunder

good idea...

check into dom tubing ....cheaper then chromeoly but almost as strong....roll cage material....and 3/16 plate to hold the sides your going to have alot of stress on that side wall...the muffler check into warlock mufflers they have a built in cutout and they rock

If you haven't already done this you mite want to look at the sanctioning bodies rule books to be sure what you designing will pass tech. Be ashame to put alot of work into something that mite be disallowed at some track with a tech guy that's a stickler on the rules..just a thought..[P

You might wanna have an engineer crunch some deflection numbers on that frame idea. It may not be as strong as you think. Or it might be stronger - dunno...

Latest posts

Back