A legend has passed on..

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arkansawer

Most of yall probably dont know this gentleman, but he was a great one. A couple of times on Horsepower TV, espn, and Hot Rod Magazine, his drag strip was mentioned. George Rays drag strip was the last Wild Cat heads up drag strip around. Located in Paragould, Arkansas its an 1/8th mile strip, made of concrete, 7 dollars to get in no matter if you was going to race or just watch. One side of the strip had 2 sets of bleachers and the other side was just parking so you could watch from the tailgates of trucks. You could stand right next to the fence which was just about 5 feet or so from the cars going down the track. It was an enter at your own risk, race what ya brung type track. Next season (if the track opens back up) will be 50 yrs of racing on the same 50 yr old 1/8th mile track. And believe me, that track is NOT smooth, it has grooves and small little bumps all the way down.

If you get a chance, go to YouTube and just look up George Rays Dragstrip, lots of good videos.

George Ray was 83 yrs old. Loved by all.

I had never heard of this track or this gentleman, but from some posts I have seen on other forums he was quite a man. So sorry to hear of his passing.

Don

Here is a picture of George and his roadster that he drove every sunday. His house was at the track, and you knew it was about race time when he drove from his house to the track. He had a parking spot that was on the track but right at the starting tree.

DSC04903.JPG

I saw the story about him and the track on horsepower tv and I always wanted to go there. RIP Mr.Ray
Tim

Well--Sad to hear- Hats off to the real deal.

I've been there a couple times years back- No BS, Outlaw track-Narrow, short, and scary. Really built for old 50s cars, and modern speed pushes the limit on the track. People run there all the time and love the track and the man. Very loyal--when loyalty is rare. He claimed that was his insurance. I would expect the track to close--its so dangerous, I don't think it can survive without him and the quiet strength he had..

Heres to George..

PA41

Attachments

• work 089.jpg
    work 089.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 34
  • work 090.jpg
    work 090.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 30
I saw that episode on TV too he seemed like a very colorful character sorry to hear of his passing. Maybe a family member will take it over to carry out his legacy.

PA thats some good pics. You are correct, that track is narrow, bumpy, scary, and not much room to move. The track record is 4.83 i believe. I bet his grandson will take it over, i hope anyway. He has been racing there for the last 4 or so yrs, so maybe him and Bonnie will keep it open. George hasnt really ran it in a long time, just sorta made a presence and kept the peace.

Sugarlou, thats actually a telephone pole not a tree, lol. And yes the spectators are really close, and has been that way for 50 yrs. Also, some of the ppl in the middle and behind the cars on the track, arent crew members. Usually each car has 1 maybe 2 crew members to put down the sticky the rest are just brave spectators.

Tripper, this is sad but true. The wife and I were talking yesterday and wondering how many hot rodders will show up, or how many famous rodders (Garlits, etc..) could possibly be there.

Latest posts

Back