A tough day in the shop

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonehead

Skull Master
It has been along time since I hurt myself in the shop, and today I remembered why. I have a machine I built that makes steel rings. Today about a 15 inch length of 1/4 round bar (the tail) got away from me and came around the back of the machine at about 100 mphs and smacked my thumb. Just imagine holding your hand up, and letting me swing a length of pencil rod and hit you on the fingers. Blacked my thumb nail, and took out a chunk of skin behind the nail. That was about 11, and my thumbnail is still seeping blood. Sorry, no pictures. (poor taste).

Makes you feel pretty dumb. So I tried to get some work done, but between the throbbing, and the bleeding, and the consumption of large amounts of Ibuprophine , it was a pretty rotten day.

Be careful out there.

All I had was a small fire... On my leg. I'd rather have a small pants fire then smash a finger any day. Your thumb will remind you to not let it happen again for awhile I'm sure.

Any pics of the ring making machine?

Well, that sucks. Like most of us, I've done similar, so I do feel your pain. What's worse, is since it's your thumb, you'll notice it for the next week. Did you do the Dance of Pain? Coulda been worse I suppose. (Coulda been better though, right?)

Ouch!!! Oh yeah, it'll remind you every day being on a thumb...
The last goodin I had was taking a brake spring in the mouth after being thrown back at me off a wire wheel. Everything was ok until I spit the spring out. Spring went out ok, but hung there. The hook end had gone thru my lower lip. I kinda know how a fish feels now...:D

That's Going To Leave a Mark

As has been said, we've all be there or will before it's over. Getting old should make you smarter [S
Since retiring i have taken a cut off wheel in the chin, lost a nail to the drill press, bleed on more things than i care to think about, and last month after the great snow storm of 2015 in So.Cal. i slipped on ice and almost broke my hip and i'm still limping. :eek:
Feel better soon, take a day off if you can [cl

If there is anyone here who doesn't feel your pain, they probably don't do their own building. It does make me appreciate that I don't have any smashed fingers and I don't even need pictures.

Working the Sturgis bike rally, I was pulling on a 3/8 ratchet when it came loose and hit me right in the kisser. Split my lower lip open, bled like a stuck pig and it seeped the rest of the rally.
Got a lot of sympathy from the ladies :p and a lot of snickers from the guys :eek: (not candy bars either)

I have an ongoing war with my thumb which typically involves using my high powered drill. A few months ago I wasn't using the detachable handle & the sprain lasted for a couple months. Was so bad I couldn't even open my car door! Mr Bonehead... I'm feelin' u're pain!!! :eek::eek::eek:

BoB

Maybe a guard to keep it from happening again?

Duh, you think? I have used it a hundred times, no problem, two things happened, I was preoccupied, and My reflexes are not as fast as they once were. Time for some safety equipment for sure. I always think of the safety stuff after the scar, not before.

Years ago I was removing a steering wheel adapter, the one with the spring under it. It was stuck on and I didn't have a puller then, so I used two screw drivers to wiggle it off. Well it shot off and left a nice dent in my forehead and made me see stars. That's when I bought my steering wheel puller. Cutting corners isn't very smart:eek:

I have a set of collapsable saw horses that if you hold by the ends and shake the legs down, they will take four finger nails off of both hands at the same time and not let you remove your fingers from them. One of my dumber drunken moves.

After you drill that small holes to releive the pressure, just don't go blownin stuff off with a high pressure air hose. Had a guy in the machine shop where I worked do that, God it was an aweful mess.

soltz you better take care of that , you may have cracked it ... My aunt done that ... she slipped and fell on some water,,, then about a month later she just fell for no reason , and broke her hip , doc said it must have already been fractured or cracked and then it just broke ... but she is almost 80 I think .. but she is good now still has a limp but getting around good ,, that was last July

Latest posts

Back