About as frustrated and PO'd as I need be.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not certain I captured the exact bodylines of the PTC since I don't typically make a point to notice them on the street, so this sketch is based solely on your sideview images. It also may not be anywhere near the look you're goin for. Just had a wild hair to do the sketch.

Attachments

• ptc.JPG
    ptc.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 16
pro type

a scale pt modified race car.

full size race car some one is building to race, wish l had more info on it.

Later :cool:

Attachments

• coacha.jpg
    coacha.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 17
  • coach3a.jpg
    coach3a.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 13
  • coach2a.jpg
    coach2a.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 2823159660090944223S500x500Q85.jpg
    2823159660090944223S500x500Q85.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
gotta love the late model chrysler front drive stuff..My mother in law had a v6 town and country mini van..two of the spark plugs had to be changed totally by feel with one hand, absolutely no visibility at all..and to change the battery, the drivers side headlight assembly has to come completely out[S:rolleyes:

by oldest brother has one of the turbo PT's, kinda fun to drive, but I don't want to ever work on it..

your project sounds like fun, looking forward to you starting on it..

Tim

I'm sure you checked into this, but aren't most OHC engines these days "interference" engines? As in, when the timing belt breaks, the pistons hit the valves that are stuck open...and well you know the rest.

I'm sure you checked into this, but aren't most OHC engines these days "interference" engines? As in, when the timing belt breaks, the pistons hit the valves that are stuck open...and well you know the rest.

I know the neons are..don't know if they are the same as the PT motor though..

Chevy used to make a car called the Monza (not the Corvair one) that had to have the motor pulled out to change the plugs. Really. Those designers should have been tortured.:cool:

@ 150,000 miles the chain in my daily rattles on cold start up if it's a 1/2 quart low on oil. So I did a little research to see what it would take to replace it. Maybe this should be in the what the heck is it forum...any guesses? Here's a hint, this is the firewall end of the engine.

What the heck is that?! :eek:

Not certain I captured the exact bodylines of the PTC since I don't typically make a point to notice them on the street, so this sketch is based solely on your sideview images. It also may not be anywhere near the look you're goin for. Just had a wild hair to do the sketch.

a scale pt modified race car.

full size race car some one is building to race, wish l had more info on it.

Later :cool:

gotta love the late model chrysler front drive stuff..My mother in law had a v6 town and country mini van..two of the spark plugs had to be changed totally by feel with one hand, absolutely no visibility at all..and to change the battery, the drivers side headlight assembly has to come completely out[S:rolleyes:

by oldest brother has one of the turbo PT's, kinda fun to drive, but I don't want to ever work on it..

your project sounds like fun, looking forward to you starting on it..

Tim

Rattle Can: Cool drawing, I'll save that in my pictures. Thanks.

Skull: First PT body I've seen that is being used as an actual race car. Model is neat too.

Big Irish: Your right...it's a 'sort of maybe' interference engine. If your steaming along at highway speeds there is a good chance the valves and pistons could get into a lovefest and do a lot of kissin. Idle or very low speed you can quite often get away without any damage. Belt broke as the previous own started to pull away from a stop sign. So...I'm taking a chance that everything survived. If I knew the gamble was this much work, I might not have tried it. But I'm in this deep, so I'll plug away with it. I'm off work tomorrow and it's supposed to be a decent day so I'll be back at it. Let you know what happens.

Tim OK: Yeah your right, they do get everything packed it don't they. I'm just real glad I don't have to do this everyday, only by choice when I do. My hands and arms are just to big to get into a lot of the narrow spaces that are used for the access. There has been a lot of times I wish I was A little dude. I have found big and handsome isn't everything......yeah you can laugh, I'm just kidding.:D

@ 150,000 miles the chain in my daily rattles on cold start up if it's a 1/2 quart low on oil. So I did a little research to see what it would take to replace it. Maybe this should be in the what the heck is it forum...any guesses? Here's a hint, this is the firewall end of the engine.

I have no idea...my guess is a carbureted watch.

You have to think outside the box to work on a lot of newer stuff. I peek in the ford section of the local Dodge dealership every once in a while and they always have a newish Super duty with the cap hoisted up in the air. That's how you work on those engines, pull the cab off.

Looks like something from a Sc-Fi moving from about 7 years ago. [S WAY too many moving parts.
attachment.php
It's 2006 Audi 3.2 FSI. FSI is Fuel Stratified Injection or a fancy way of saying directed injected. It runs like a banshee with 12.5:1 compression and gets 28 mpg going 80 mph and about 25 mpg all around. All I've ever done in 150k is change the oil and filter every 5000 miles with mobile 1 and put plugs in @ 60k and 120k. The oil filter is on the top of the motor and I suck the oil out the dipstick tube with a marine pump, so I couldn't tell you what size the drain plug is. I'm guessing the parts and labor for a timing chain is around 4k. The Deeters built this motor up through 2009. So if it goes I'll probably find a low mileage engine out of a wreck for 3500 and do the swap myself. Or I'll trade it in on a PT cruiser.

2823159660090944223S500x500Q85.jpg

I found this when I did a google search. Someone in the Northeast has built a full blown PT cruiser into a roundy round modified type stock car. Something a little less radical would be cool for the street for sure.

MikeC

Looks like big watch internals to me....way over complicated in my own opinion.

No idea, but that's the biggest freakin' micrometer I've ever seen. :eek:

attachment.php
[/QUOTE]

. So if it goes I'll probably find a low mileage engine out of a wreck for 3500 and do the swap myself. Or I'll trade it in on a PT cruiser.

View attachment 89583

I found this when I did a google search. Someone in the Northeast has built a full blown PT cruiser into a roundy round modified type stock car. Something a little less radical would be cool for the street for sure.

MikeC

Offroad, you sure you want a Cruiser??:rolleyes: I've changed out timing belts on 4 cylinder Volvo's in 20 min. flat start to finish. The design on this vehicle is just ridiculously stupid. However I plan on changing that with a slant six and rearwheel drive.:D

MikeC, Thanks for taking a look around and finding that for me. Skull found that picture and posted it as well. I appreciate it guys.:)

Last edited:
I WIN!! Got the dang thing on and it runs like gang busters. Guess the valves and pistons didn't marry up. Only thing now is a voltage draw and a alt that is extremely tight to turn. I can bet they are connected. I'll park the 1 ton and use the Cruiser as my daily for a bit until I get ready to make it a project. Thanks for listening to my tail of woe, also for the insight, suggestions, help and laughs. This is a great site and a good bunch of guys.[cl

as a master tech for the last 15 years and having to do these at the shop daily. i know exactly what you are dealing with, i have changed several of these and understand the clearance issue between the inner fender and the engine you are talking about. ive got em down to about 2.5 hours to do now, so p.m. me if ya need help. that engine bracket/ mount in the timing cover is a pain in the arse. to say the least. not to mention the p/s and a/c lines running right over your work area too.

george

Thank you for the offer George, I got it finished up this afternoon. It just bites to have to go through so much malarkey to change out a simple timing belt. The bean counters were obviously involved when these ones were designed.

Latest posts

Back