Air Ride?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R_CK_R

Hi,
I got some questions about installing an Air Ride Suspension...
Can I just replace the front coil springs with air bags or do I need something more?

Do I have to change something on the original frame of the car to install the air bags in the back?
If I understood right, I have to push the rear axle up in direction to the frame, to lower the car? How can I get the rear axle up and the leaf spring down? so the air bag should be placed between the axle and the spring?

thank you for your help!

best regards,
kai

Attachments

• IMAG1279.jpg
    IMAG1279.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMAG1287.jpg
    IMAG1287.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 45
A great place to start would be to contact the company that sells the parts needed to do your specific application . You might also ask them for the name of any one near you who has purchased their parts .

A lot will depend on how low you want to go_On the front you will probably wind up using some sort of "cup" on the end of the air bag to help with clearance and to keep it from totally collapsing the suspension.On the back you will remove the leaf springs and replace with link sys so as to give the rear end travel.Keep in mind the bigger the bag the more lifting power and smother the ride but they cant rub on anything or they will fail.

Bag%20and%20Bracket%2002.jpg

1109clt-18-o%2Bair-ride-suspension-install%2Bjack.jpg

AirRideTechnologiesDuallyAirBarKit.jpg

A lot will depend on how low you want to go_On the front you will probably wind up using some sort of "cup" on the end of the air bag to help with clearance and to keep it from totally collapsing the suspension.On the back you will remove the leaf springs and replace with link sys so as to give the rear end travel.Keep in mind the bigger the bag the more lifting power and smother the ride but they cant rub on anything or they will fail.

Bag%20and%20Bracket%2002.jpg

1109clt-18-o%2Bair-ride-suspension-install%2Bjack.jpg

AirRideTechnologiesDuallyAirBarKit.jpg

Actually I want to go as deep as possible with as less effort as possible...
The System in the last pic looks great!

With that X-frame, you may be able to run 2 trailing arms. I'm not sure how low you can get with that setup without cutting into your floorboards - as compared to a 4-link set up. I wasn't finding a better pic, but this is the general idea - 2 arms from the center with the axle bolted solid.

401.jpg

As for the front, you'll probably need to trim the spring pockets so that they are at least a thumbs width from the bags at all times.

The airbag will replace your springs, both front and rear. you will need to install another method of locating the rear axle (4 link, trailing arm + panhard, ect). In front, the bag will replace the spring. The cup will be a spacer/ mount. You may have to trim the spring cup portion of the original frame to make it fit. Find a minitruck forum or magazine for info, articles, and ads.
Good luck.

Latest posts

Back