Almost completed build...two years later

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ford49Rat

Hello everyone. I have gotten a ton of help from you guys throughout my build and I am very happy with the outcome. It is running and driving and it is very enjoyable. It took a little over two years to get to this point.

I am now wanting to make an air cleaner (scoop) to go on top of the carb. I had seen one before that had a smoke stack exhaust pipe as one and I really liked it. My neighbor happened to have one and gave it to me. It is 5 inches in diameter and just about fits perfect over the top of the carb. I am going to cut it off at the top and it will be about 6 inches tall or so.
My main question is, do I need to put some sort of filter or screen above the carb and inside the pipe to keep stuff from getting into the carb?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 93
You will need a filter of sorts or at least a screen to keep out the bugs. Might want to carry 8 soup cans for the exhaust in case you park in the rain:D

You will need a filter of sorts or at least a screen to keep out the bugs. Might want to carry 8 soup cans for the exhaust in case you park in the rain:D
Good I was hoping a simple screen would be good enough. I've been wanting to make some flappers for the headers since the ones you find online are very expensive!

I would want some kind of filter, foam or something. You're not just keeping bugs out, you need to keep out dust and grit, which will kill an engine in short time.

I would want some kind of filter, foam or something. You're not just keeping bugs out, you need to keep out dust and grit, which will kill an engine in short time.

That's true. Would foam be the best option to put inside the pipe? Would it be fine to have it completely closed off inside like that where nothing can get to the carb?

A lot of people underestimate how long it takes to build a whole car from the ground up. Been guilty of that too many times my own self! [ddd

BoB

How about one of those cone style filters that they are using on the newer cars. Rig it on top on top of carb, Then add the big pipe as an a scoop. It will take a bit of engineering, but a clean engine is a happy long living engine.

I can see that chrome stack sticking up more like a foot in the air over the carb. :D Then you'd have plenty of room to hide that filter.

Latest posts

Back