almost lost my cars to city codes

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Binky's Clown College

Some neighbor must have thought it funny to call city codes on my cars a few weeks ago. Well I got the last laugh. After stretching it out as long as I could, I now have them legit. Also, I was informed by a codes official that I could send them a letter from my car club stating that my cars are necessary for club functions, in which case they are exempted from local codes BS. hope this helps others

gub'ment

gotta love the know-it-all gub'ment of ours:rolleyes:

glad it worked out OK & l'd send the letter you mentioned covering club functions just to have extra coverage against future actions. the rep's may get voted out and new one's get in given ya problems, the trouble could start all over again.

OH, and keep copies of everything, l went thru this with the county here several times in 15 years l've had this house.

Last edited:
Look into having a home based business that would include cars but is clean. Such as an upolstry shop or something. Then you can have all the "customers" cars you want. I planned ahead and bought commercial property. On top of that I still have my shop name registered and at the house. Then I can get parts at cost and write them off to taxes!:D

How many cars did you have stored on your property ? There are two sides to every story and I wouldn't want to live in a nice residential neighborhood if my next door neighbor had a bunch of unregistered cars just sitting around.

Don

Codes

I had my F1 next to the garage while i was working on it.... You guessed it came home from work and it had a large red sticker on it telling me what all i could and clould not do and have on my propery. They got every car and yard that did not meet city codes on our street. So in the garage it went - city was happy:)

People down the street not so happy lost a school bus set up for infeild weekend at Lowes motor speedway! just because he wouldnt put a current plate on it! STUPID!

Good luck with the city.

52 fordman

How many cars did you have stored on your property ? There are two sides to every story and I wouldn't want to live in a nice residential neighborhood if my next door neighbor had a bunch of unregistered cars just sitting around.

Don

There are always at least 2 sides to every story and then the truth.

Several years ago we had some big city goons come in and convince the county that they needed to have a "junk vehicle" ordinance implemented. Seems the weekend lakefront home owners from Chicago found it horrible to see any unlicensed vehicle sitting outside.

They had to have a hearing before passing the new law.... it was standing room only with the crowd overflowing outside the meeting. The county board sat for over 3 hours while they heard from old car owners, farmers, boat collectors and the like explain how stupid the legislation was...

The law was rejected, re-written, and amended a few times until the final version allows a property owner to have up to 4 unlicensed vehicle IN PLAIN SIGHT.... you can have as many as you want inside or behind a fence and not visible to others...

I'll give the farmers credit... the prosed ordinance required famers to shed all of their equipment every night even during planting and harvesting... they really put the heat on our elected officials...

My city gets a bug up their ass every few years and the cops come around and ask me to move my stuff behind my fence until the heat cools down... I actually LIKE having them come around... especially the two cute brunettes that are on the force...

Thay are tryin to do a junk ordinance in my county now we are fighting them my feeling is its my property I payed for it I can keep what I want on it an if you don't like it don't live next to me I like my junk yard maybe your flowers an grass offend me ha how you like them apples D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.[ddd[ddd

It Kind of cracks me up when I hear about laws like this when the city authorities cant even shut down a dope house like the one that was running next to me.It was so obvious with the street being full of cars and people "visiting" for less then 5 minutes and leaving. The best part is when they sent out some sort of unarmed investigator after I sent a complaint to there anonymous tip line and the first thing they do is come to my door. They never did do anything but the riff raff did move out.

Don

I own 5 and it's not anice residential neighborhood it's a lower end one. When I purchased 4 of them (already had the '55 Chevy) I followed code and tagged and titled them as antiques, also only 2 are visible and they don't look bad (see early posts). Now the codes official is happy and three of them run, plus one recieved a partial paint job (the '55pontiac upper color).

I have had to live in the city a few times and just obided, didn't try to have a tore apart car in the apartment complex parking lot and never lived in violation of any codes. I do believe I should be able to keep (within reason) what I want on my own property. I think if your neighbors are turning you in, you might need to spend a little more time on good neighbor relations.
I am always surprised at the responses on forums about this subject (or maybe not) A good share of them are based on retaliation and vengeance, just what the bad neighbor relationship needs more of.

unregistered vehicles is a farce
having and using a vehicle on public property is a privilege and of course the public requires insurance,registration, and operability for presence and use on a public highway
But a vehicle is personal property and having it on private property is a right
Registration is not an attribute that alters the appearance of a vehicle or any other stimuli affecting any other of the senses ...
Registration is not in any way related to presenting a nuisance .
Unregistered personal property of any sort on or near an address is not a factor in determining real estate valuations.
regulation can only apply to license
License is official permission to engage in an illegal activity
License is privilege
Registration is a requirement for engaging in a privilege
registration these days requires insurance and you also have no duty or responsibility to insure your personal property unless engaging in the privilege of using it on a public highway
In fact you can get drunk and drive your car on closed private property and not legally be charged with drunken driving because the whole of motor vehicle code is restricted to only operation on a public highway.... off highway ownership and operation remains a right.
I forget the supreme court cases but in the past when localities and states tried to implement motor vehicle code, drivers licenses, and registration, when fought the supreme court ruled owning and driving was a protected right.
The states then passed laws making it a crime to operate a motor vehicle on a public highway.
They also created license or privilege to engage in this illegal activity of driving.
if you drive without permission you are committing a crime and the legal jeopardy falls on your person. you can be fined and you can be imprisoned.
If you do have permission (license) and you violate the regulations (motor vehicle code) then the legal jeopardy now falls upon not your body but upon the license. You have been given permission to engage in a sanctioned criminal activity. You cannot therefore be incriminated for engaging in this activity and the requirements to maintain permission are that you abide by the rules regulating the sanctioned criminal activity.
Fines are thus levied against your license and they can a-lien or seize your license for violating regulation but they cannot incriminate you or imprison you for violating regulation.
On the other hand if you do engage in the criminal activity unsanctioned you can be put in jail.
Confusion arises in the mess of laws and ordinances but most generally offenses of regulation bear upon the license, and offenses of statue bear upon the body of a person.

If a license is not required for an activity and the activity is not a crime, then there is no power of law to regulate of the activity and the activity remains a right.

Authority: Author-ity...
"ity" at the end of Authority indicates that the word Authority is an attribute of an author. The government has no authority in the same way a ghost writer is not the author of a work.
What the government has are limited powers and duties they must execute.
If they fail to do so these powers and responsibilities return to the states which gave them to the national government, and if the states fail these powers and responsibilities revert to the people.
We the people in whom all authority is reserved.
The due process initiating the reversion of power is automatic as outlined in the 10th amendment.
The act of government initiating the reversion of power is the failure to execute the duties or any attempt to author for itself power to the fed from the states or power to the states from the people.
County and local governments are chartered under state constitutions. they are not "the people" they are party to the states.
As in a court case "The people vs john doe" the court, the county, and the state are not "the people". the court in this case is merely officiating or executing the will of the individuals in that jusrisdiction. You and I.
It involves an understanding of the rule of law.
In the rest of the world up until the founding of our constitution the relationship of man and government has always been that:
The law protects government
The law rules over the people
When Americans became free. when we overthrew our sovereign king and reclaimed our individual sovereignty we accepted no other king over us.
We chartered a government in common law using a legal instrument we named "The US Constitution" and we established it as the highest law of the land over any other regulation statute or ordinance.
In this act the constitution born of common law does not succeed common law and remains subject to it.
The constitution was Authored by "We The People" the individuals who are native to or reside in this jurisdiction. The government did not author the constitution, the founding fathers wrote it as a ghost writer writes for an author, any authority exercised by the founding fathers was as individuals not as government.
Individuals are the Authors and in the individual all authority is reserved.
the Constitution does not give us rights, it charters the framework for government and regulates how government may be exercised.
The rule of law rules over the government and protects the people not the other way around like in the rest of the world.

Hey Sam...
I built something!

Put up a new deck at my brother's house anyone need a house? $225,000 lakefront 2 bed Townhome... Carter lake Ia, Like new. (no buildy buildy on junk car car here)... #(

0508122041.jpg0514121603.jpg0514121821.jpg0517122039.jpg0521122004.jpg

Last edited:
And I finally bought something! (no pics)

TCI pontiac to chevy trans adapter $100 (nice)
Rebuilt 27 spine input 700r4 with rebuilt converter $350
2 antique blacksmith pedestal vice's $20 and $24
10 horse tecumseh avonin triplex pump Powerwasher with 100' hose $550
pancake air compressor from tractor supply $99 and it works kick ass, oil bath type too.

My brother sold me his 2001 f150 for a grand. it's safety yellow but its pretty cherry
The 4.6 has the timing chains going out though. gonna be my daily ride soon as I get it fixed.
I have a good 5.4 tucked away too but I havn't the slightest idea how to swap it for the 4.6 besides I want mileage...
The dually converted from diesel to 350 gas in my frankensteiner thread is going to get new front suspension from rock auto, the 700r4 I bought and a new 389 pontiac bored to 400 with 6x heads I got squirreled away in the garage from days gone by...or maybe i just puttum me a 350 diesel in and putt around getting 30 mpg.

I'm fixing to do something mechanical pretty soon.

Latest posts

Back