almost lost my cars to city codes

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I finally bought something! (no pics)

TCI pontiac to chevy trans adapter $100 (nice)
Rebuilt 27 spine input 700r4 with rebuilt converter $350
2 antique blacksmith pedestal vice's $20 and $24
10 horse tecumseh avonin triplex pump Powerwasher with 100' hose $550
pancake air compressor from tractor supply $99 and it works kick ass, oil bath type too.

My brother sold me his 2001 f150 for a grand. it's safety yellow but its pretty cherry
The 4.6 has the timing chains going out though. gonna be my daily ride soon as I get it fixed.
I have a good 5.4 tucked away too but I havn't the slightest idea how to swap it for the 4.6 besides I want mileage...
The dually converted from diesel to 350 gas in my frankensteiner thread is going to get new front suspension from rock auto, the 700r4 I bought and a new 389 pontiac bored to 400 with 6x heads I got squirreled away in the garage from days gone by...or maybe i just puttum me a 350 diesel in and putt around getting 30 mpg.

I'm fixing to do something mechanical pretty soon.

I wonder if, perhaps, you might just have an issue with the timing chain tensioners in the F-150? It's been awhile since I worked @ the dealer, but I seem to recall, well, a recall on those... Tensioners would lose tension, chains got floppy, BINGO, NOISY!!! :(

Not 100% sure on that, BTW.... You might want to Goooooogle it to be sure...
Pretty decent trucks, really. Sounds like a good score.

Regards,
Shea:)

Yeah, I've got a 04 f150 with the 5.4

I wonder if, perhaps, you might just have an issue with the timing chain tensioners in the F-150? It's been awhile since I worked @ the dealer, but I seem to recall, well, a recall on those... Tensioners would lose tension, chains got floppy, BINGO, NOISY!!! :(

Not 100% sure on that, BTW.... You might want to Goooooogle it to be sure...
Pretty decent trucks, really. Sounds like a good score.

Regards,
Shea:)

Hot it knocks.....was told by my buddy who is a service mgr at the local ford dealer that it's commom with the 5.4 and variable valve timing and that they came up with some tech bulletin to replace the chain tensioners then pulled the tsb and said it's normal and won't hurt anything.....mines got about 85K and sounds like a rod knock at idle....I hate the noise but above idle it's gone....kind of embarrasing sitting in the drive of Tim Horton's...with that knock echoing off the wall....:(

I wonder if, perhaps, you might just have an issue with the timing chain tensioners

The trucks got 140k miles on it no leaks no smoke runs smooth but the noise... plus it's an interference engine

My brother Tim already purchased from ford the complete chain/tensioner set as well as a new oil pump and pan gasket. he has worked as a professional mechanic for Mike Cole, Cole auto sales in Topeka KS.
Tim told me that the only code showing for the check engine light is the knock sensor is going off and you can hear the chain slapping rather noticeably like in my other brother's Toyota 22r before it went kaboom
Anyway's Tim say's the ford tensioners last the longest and the aftermarket are inferior and don't last any where near as long which is why he bought ford parts.

i already got the parts to do it, I'm looking at the pan thinking maybe i should just pull the engine to do it all.
I decided to rough it out and do it in the chassis then I got to thinking 140k miles...rear main and tranny seal...maybe It's best to pop it out and seal it up all the way then also paint everything up real nice.

P.S. he bought a new oil pump and pan gasket because when the timing chain rub blocks are wearing out you get crap in the pan

people are just a pain in the ,,,, anyway but some are the ,,,
glad it worked out for you, and if it was me I would fill the carb with trans fluid rev her up a few times you know to clean out the soot and carbon,etc, repete and drive around the block .
but thats just me,

Latest posts

Back