Aluminum powerglide/307

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CORPO

Buildin' it his way, one piece at a time...
Alright guys,

I got a 307 with an aluminum power glide from a 68 Malibu.

When it was given to me the guy kept the starter, can anyone tell me the number of teeth the stock flywheel would have? and if the proper starter would have straight teeth or beveled..?

thanks guys

Should be 153 tooth flexplate. Any sbc starter will fit except one for a 400 cu. in. sbc. I've never seen a straight cut gear on a chevy.

if your flex plate is 12 3/4" you have a 153. if it is 14" you have a 168. the 307 could of had either.

Thanks for the input guys... Dont know how I will determine if I have a 12 3/4 or 14... any suggestions? I dont want to separate the trans from the engine

i got a 350 with the big flex plate in my roadster, and i don't have the dust cover on it. i'll try to messure (sorry can't spell this morning) from the outside of the block to the plate and let you know.

sorry it took so long to get back to you. i went to the drivers side, and with the tape tip to the flex plate, up aginest (spelling) the block and cover mount, it is 2 1/2" to the outside of the dust cover mount. that is with a 168.

Measure the distance between 5 teeth, center to center. If the measurement is less than 1" (0.953") you have 153 teeth. If you measure more than 1" (1.046") you have 168 teeth.

just went through a page of starter gears, all are straight cut, never seen anything else. a Tilton style mini starter will fit either flywheel.

Latest posts

Back