And now for something completely different.....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the last of the outside panels painted; doors, hood, bumpers, plus some inside trim for the windows. I have to get some more paint to finish the inside panels but it's just about there.

Attachments

• IMG_2660.jpg
    IMG_2660.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2661.jpg
    IMG_2661.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2662.jpg
    IMG_2662.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2663.jpg
    IMG_2663.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2659.jpg
    IMG_2659.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 12
You have such a cool project there. And, an award for perserverance is due. That van has so much surface area to deal with. I'm in awe.

Thanks, guys; much appreciated! I hope to make some good progress this weekend; the bumpers and hood are ready to go back on and I have a new windshield gasket sitting here. It always seems like wrapping up those last jobs seem to take the longest to get done; my wife and I are just so busy lately. I still need to paint the inside panels and put the interior together but hopefully I can wrap it all up by the end of August.

Got a pretty good amount of work done today. I got both bumpers put back on, put the hood on, built a hood prop, mounted the hood hold downs, made some plate to go on the sides of the radiator to keep air from flowing around the radiator instead of through it, and started cleaning up the windshield for re installation.

Attachments

• icecreamtrk 010.jpg
    icecreamtrk 010.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 28
  • icecreamtrk 014.jpg
    icecreamtrk 014.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 23
  • icecreamtrk 015.jpg
    icecreamtrk 015.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 38
  • icecreamtrk 013.jpg
    icecreamtrk 013.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 26
  • icecreamtrk 012.jpg
    icecreamtrk 012.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 25
  • icecreamtrk 011.jpg
    icecreamtrk 011.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 25
  • icecreamtrk 009.jpg
    icecreamtrk 009.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 27
  • icecreamtrk 008.jpg
    icecreamtrk 008.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 25
  • icecreamtrk 007.jpg
    icecreamtrk 007.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 25
Man, but I just get all "giggley" inside every time I see an update on this thing....:D

I've gotta admit, I just wasn't "feelin' it" when you first started, but just "WOW" now that you're almost done! This truck (VAN?!) is super cool! I really like the quad lights on there, they just make the appearance.:cool:

Regards,
Shea:)

Thanks, buddy. I see you're a school bus mechanic; this should give you all kinds of bizzare ideas.:D Hopefully not too many updates left on this before I can call it done. I've got a 48 Plymouth I'm ready to get back to.

You have done a great job on your van. Lots of metal to deal with. ANd, the engine swap is doubly cool. Are you going to use it as a utility vehicle?

You have done a great job on your van. Lots of metal to deal with. ANd, the engine swap is doubly cool. Are you going to use it as a utility vehicle?

Thanks, Bob. It's been a lot of fun to put together; much different from anything else I've done. Actually I plan on tooling around some car shows this fall and putting it up for sale next spring. I think it would make a great shop truck.

I just read through your build ! Very nicely done ! Looks awesom$e and probably sounds even cooler coming down the road[ddd

I'm glad you liked it! I really enjoyed putting it together. How's the weather up there in Canada? It's brutal here; 101 right now and it's only noon.

Bad night; I had my trusty glass guy come look at the windshield and he warned me that it was going to be a really tough one to install and that he wasnt responsible if it broke. He had me help him and of course, it broke. If it was anyone else I'd have been pis*ed but I've been using him for years and trust him. It's flat glass so hopefully it wont cost too much to get a new one cut. I did get all my inside panels wet sanded so we'll be painting and installing them this weekend.

Since you have to get new glass anyway, you might think about tinted...just for fun.
I got a tan one for my Jeep (one of the many I had to put in). They're designed for tractors & not DOT approved, but it's the same saftey glass as DOT approved windshields are made of. The tinting comes from the plastic between the glass plys.

The place I got mine from had 3 colors. I had to take the windshield frame in so they'd have plausable deniability, "It's an off-road only vehicle." ;-)

-Chaz

That was a good idea, Clamor. I wish I had read it before I ordered the glass. I might have to call and see if it's too late to change it.
OK, I got a new windshield on order; should be done Wednesday. I had them cut it all in one piece instead of using two pieces with a divider. Yesterday I got the final inside panels painted. Then I started putting some generic Dynamat insulation on the inside. I got the spring window mechanisms cleaned and greased up; then put the door back together with new window channel; and finally installed the door and the inner panels. I just got one side done, we'll work on the other today. Also, here's the roll of coin grip rubber flooring I bought. I'm doing the whole floor, front to back, with it.

Attachments

• IMG_2679.jpg
    IMG_2679.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2685.jpg
    IMG_2685.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2687.jpg
    IMG_2687.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2684.jpg
    IMG_2684.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2683.jpg
    IMG_2683.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2682.jpg
    IMG_2682.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2681.jpg
    IMG_2681.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2680.jpg
    IMG_2680.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2678.jpg
    IMG_2678.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2677.jpg
    IMG_2677.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 17
Finished up side the other side today. The doors seem to work nice and slide easy. I'm going to be making a headliner covered in black ozite carpet with some inset lights and speakers. I also need to cut new panels for the roll up door; that will probably be the last item on the list.

Attachments

• icecreamtrk 016.jpg
    icecreamtrk 016.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 11
  • icecreamtrk 017.jpg
    icecreamtrk 017.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 10
  • icecreamtrk 018.jpg
    icecreamtrk 018.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 10
  • icecreamtrk 019.jpg
    icecreamtrk 019.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 10
  • icecreamtrk 020.jpg
    icecreamtrk 020.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 10
  • icecreamtrk 021.jpg
    icecreamtrk 021.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 19
  • icecreamtrk 022.jpg
    icecreamtrk 022.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 18
Over the last few dyas I've put some soundproofing on the ceiling, finished cleaning up the rear wiring harness and installed the inside corner panels and some upper pieces that will hold the headliner, and cleaned up, painted, and installed the door hardware. I needed to chrome the headlight rings and grille but just couldnt spring for the cost so I'm trying this two part chrome finish that Eastwood sells. You have to paint it over gloss black and then put a clear on it. I saw it on My Classic Car on TV and it looked pretty slick so I'm going to give it a shot. Here Ive got them painted black but the directions say you have to paint it in 50% or less humidity so today was out.

Attachments

• IMG_2698.jpg
    IMG_2698.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2699.jpg
    IMG_2699.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2700.jpg
    IMG_2700.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2701.jpg
    IMG_2701.jpg