And now for something completely different.....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that conjours up a whole new mental picture of demented decals I could think of! That's a cool idea, Rusty.
I finally got the whole drivetrain bolted down with the headers on and it looks like it will all fit. I had to move the motormounts for the third time but now it finally looks like it's going to be good. I had the wheels off to drill a hole for the mounting bolts and while I was there I put on new shocks, went through the brakes, packed the bearings and greased the frontend. The big headache now is trying to get the #@%!!!!!! dipstick tube in the block! There was no way to put it in first because I couldnt get the header past it. Enough for today; I'll try again tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_2576.jpg
    IMG_2576.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2577.jpg
    IMG_2577.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 37
After a couple nights in the garage after work, I finally got the header bolts all tight and some more stuff bolted on the engine. Luckily this thing had removable panels under the wheelwells so it made some of it a litlle easier. I had to pull the intake again because I saw what looked like the intake not covering one of the ports but it turned out to be nothing. Better safe than sorry. I still havent got that dipstick tube all the way down but for now I'm not going to worry about it. I'm going radiator shopping at the boneyard Monday so the front end may be on next week.

Attachments

• IMG_2578.jpg
    IMG_2578.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2579.jpg
    IMG_2579.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2580.jpg
    IMG_2580.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2581.jpg
    IMG_2581.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 32
You'll get there, Jordan. Make a plan, divide it into small tasks, and take it one piece at a time. Try to avoid focusing on the whole project at once; it helps you to not get overwhelmed that way.

definately +1! And set aside time every week to do something, even if it is for an hour, and it will pay out in the end.

Ice cream war wagon is lookin good! stuffed full of motor but good!

definately +1! And set aside time every week to do something, even if it is for an hour, and it will pay out in the end.

Ice cream war wagon is lookin good! stuffed full of motor but good!

Thanks! That a hard lesson to learn for some guys. They blow the car completely apart and then the realization of the hours it will take to put it back together makes them give up. That can be a good thing for the hobby, though. We get some smokin deals on abandon project cars that way!

It feels like they go really slow when you get to this point. All that little stuff sure eats the clock. I had to build an alternator bracket to move it in closer to the engine. The stock one had it hanging way off to the side, plus with eliminating the power steering pump and A/C, I didnt need all those huge brackets anymore. I looked through my scrap bucket and found a Chevy top bracket along with a couple of straight pieces left over from an old garage door opener kit so here's what I came up with.

Attachments

• icecreamtrk 006.jpg
    icecreamtrk 006.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 22
  • icecreamtrk 007.jpg
    icecreamtrk 007.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 20
  • icecreamtrk 008.jpg
    icecreamtrk 008.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 20
  • icecreamtrk 009.jpg
    icecreamtrk 009.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 17
  • icecreamtrk 010.jpg
    icecreamtrk 010.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 23
I also ditched the chrome water neck, it had a weird angle to the heater hose fitting and it was kinking the hose. I got several other small things hooked up; try and hit it some more tomorrow.

Attachments

• icecreamtrk 012.jpg
    icecreamtrk 012.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 17
  • icecreamtrk 015.jpg
    icecreamtrk 015.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 21
  • icecreamtrk 014.jpg
    icecreamtrk 014.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 15
  • icecreamtrk 013.jpg
    icecreamtrk 013.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 13
  • icecreamtrk 011.jpg
    icecreamtrk 011.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 15
looking good......nice to see that i'm not the only one who uses what is laying around....(garage-door-bracket-turned-alternator-bracket[cl)

for me it was an unknown origin FOMOCO bracket on an sbc:D:D

It's been a tough couple weeks at work so not too much done on the Iscream. I did start going through the wiring harness and getting rid of many years of crappy splices, toasted wires and bad switches. I think it'll come out OK even though it looks a little rough here. I also got my radiator from Summit and did a little tweaking on the decal design.

Attachments

• IMG_2593.jpg
    IMG_2593.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2594.jpg
    IMG_2594.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Iscream.jpg
    Iscream.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 28
I got the dash wiring roughed in, along with all new switches, hooking the wiper motor and control arms, and the center console put together. It doesnt look like much but there was a whole day here wiring, hooking up ductwork for the heat/defrost, and relocating things from its previous spot. I'm pulling out a lot of old splices as I go along and running new wire and will clean everything up once I'm sure it's all working.

Attachments

• IMG_2595.jpg
    IMG_2595.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2596.jpg
    IMG_2596.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2597.jpg
    IMG_2597.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 21
Oh how we all love running wire! Looks like you'll have kids chasing you with quarters in no time.

Wiring is the pits; especially when you're moving a lot of stuff from it's original spot. I would have bought a basic street rod harness but I would have ended up changing a lot of it anyway so I just stuck with what I had but changed the fusebox to plug ins. How's the Olds coming, Sam?

Wiring is the pits; especially when you're moving a lot of stuff from it's original spot.

Lol! I am in the middle of re-wiring a 99 mustang GT that we put a 6.0L silverado motor in it with a T76 turbo. We had it running on Megasquirt but now we are mating a stock GM 04 truck PCM and harness with the existing ford PCM and harness and have the whole thing run all the gauges and emmision controls. Now THAT is a wiring nightmare! [cl

Lol! I am in the middle of re-wiring a 99 mustang GT that we put a 6.0L silverado motor in it with a T76 turbo. We had it running on Megasquirt but now we are mating a stock GM 04 truck PCM and harness with the existing ford PCM and harness and have the whole thing run all the gauges and emmision controls. Now THAT is a wiring nightmare! [cl

Man, this sounds really cool! That baby should fly! My brother in law is building a late 90's LS powered Mustang, too. I think he's got an LS1 from a 2000 Camaro. The LS based motors are great; I built a 5.3 from an 02 Suburban for my 48 Plymouth coupe. Changed mine over to carburetor, though.

yea they do run nice. We have a turbo 5.3L in a 89 C1500 that runs 11.8 @ 121 in the 1/4 @ 4400lbs. All was built for about $3k. Soot me a PM if you need help with the 90's stang. I have been down that road.

yea they do run nice. We have a turbo 5.3L in a 89 C1500 that runs 11.8 @ 121 in the 1/4 @ 4400lbs. All was built for about $3k. Soot me a PM if you need help with the 90's stang. I have been down that road.

That's great; I'll let Kevin know. He's got the car and the drivetrain; he's looking into motor mount options now. I'd like to hit you up for some info on your 5.3 when I get back to working on my 48, too. I was thinking about a turbo; wasnt sure how it would work with the carb set up.

Did a little more wiring this evening; I got the rear harness put back in. Also ordered these from a Jeep place; they came in today.

Attachments

• icecreamtrk.jpg
    icecreamtrk.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Back