Another Cool Car Killed ! aka most junker's & scrapper's are DUMB!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Righteous

This is No BS....
I heard the familar rattle & noise of a trailer going by one morn,
so I looked out my window one morning last week to see who was pulling a trailer past my house & what was on it
The trailer was empty,the truck pulling it had a couple of teenager's driving it,
the rear window had the lettering (I BUY JUNK CARS)etc.etc,
I barely caught sight of him as he was coming out of my neighborhood,
I could'nt believe my eye's !!!!
On the trailer pulled on backward's was a beautiful pearl white Caddilac Allante Convertible!!!
Yeah I know it's a newer car,but it is a cool car none the less.
Before anyone tries to crucify me for digging this (old) Caddy,
I currently own a 28 29 30 31 Model A & many other old cars.
I'am a true car guy !
In my mind I thought surely this guy is just moving this car for a friend,
as NO ONE would be that DUMB!
But today I was in the scrap yard & this kid came in,so I asked him....
Was he the guy that picked up the white Caddy ????
Yes he was he said,I then asked him what did he do with the car??
His answer......IT WAS IN THE SCRAP YARD !!!!!!!!!!!
I walked over to the car pile & there it was,under 2 other cars
cut in half as he didn't have a title for it & to get it in the yard he cut it up !!
I wanted to slap him up alittle....alot
He said yeah, that was an expensive car when it was new,
it looked like it probably ran he said.
He said a guy bought the property & the car was in an old garage & he wanted the car gone,so he gave it to this kid to (haul off)....
The sad thing is this car was at the end of my block,a mile down the road.
If I'd seen it was there I would have bought it for sure.
Go's to show ya never know what's in a garage in your own back yard,
So look around!
The moral of this story is......
NEVER take anything for granted,when you see a scrapper/Junker hauling something that catch's you eye,
chase him down & save that car or truck before one of these knuckel head's kill's another cool vehicle !!!!
ps.
I restrained myself & didn't (educate him),but gave him my phone #
& told him to call me when he got any other old car's,we'll see what he come's up with....

BCNYA
Righteous....t

My boss drives a 66 Bonneville that he stopped from going to the shredder 15 years ago. It only had 63,000 miles on it. He still drives it daily. Still has the orignal raido,hubcaps, and the a/c still works. Some people would rather junk a car for $50 then save it. I have a 68 Karman Ghia,68 sunroof bug and a 73 super beetle that I saved from the shredder. The Ghia runs perfect and I gave the 68 to my brother. They were on some property that a guy bought and he wanted them gone. He already scrapped a 79 2dr Caprice and a mid 60s complete 2dr Thunderbird with a 429.:eek: :(:mad:
Tim

Prices are up and if it not nailed down the scraper are after it. The SOBS are after my Drag truck because it outside.

I teach a vehicle rescue class at a local scrap yard. I have seen stuff out of the 50's in the yard. Main body of a 55 Chevy 2 door wagon, 50's Chevy pickups, 50's International truck, Even hand tools and work benches in the light metal pile.

I did manage to take the owner into letting me take a 60's Triumph bike and some Harley parts out of the yard. Paid by the pound. $75.00 for everything. thing.

The cars and trucks were already smashed.

Attachments

• 1948 F1-3.JPG
    1948 F1-3.JPG
    207.7 KB · Views: 29
I just hauled my Geo Metro to the scrap yard. I will not apologize. Nor will I feel remorse.[ddd 14 years, 150k miles...it's like a kleenex-served a purpose then thrown away without a second thought. Some cars just weren't meant for this world.:D

It is extremely unfortunate when older cars of value are shredded though.:mad:

I can honestly say that anything I have taken to the scrap yard has been totally and undeniably used up - COMPLETELY! :D

Why should the 'scrapper' care?
It's a business to him plain and simple.
I wonder how many times he's been the victim of 'Craigslist' or 'Kijiji' promises?

To scrappers cars are just so much metal. They have no attachment to any of them and see no difference between an old car and a Maytag washing machine that is being scrapped.

I went to an auction last Saturday at a storage place that was taking bids on stuff people had stored and stopped paying on. They had a minimum $ 300 starting bid on all the cars because he said a scrapper would give him that much for each of them.:(

None were worth saving, stuff like S10 Blazers, Dodge Voyagers, etc.

Don

I chased down a scrapper haulin a 54 Chevy. Offered him 50 bucks for the grille. I went a block away to borrow some tools (I was in a company truck). When I got back, he was gone.
We got one scrapper here who sells his old stuff on Craigslist.

Shakey

I just posted some antique car parts for sale in the parts for sale section. CHEAP, CHEAP...you must come get em or they get crushed!!!

Last edited:
Several factors are driving cars to scrap. High scrap prices are the first but the parts market is in the toilet right now too. And the fact the re-poppers are making a lot of the parts now.
It's kinda sad to see an Allante going across the scales but without a title, that's the easiest thing to do with it. I wouldn't mind having one of the later ones with a Northstar in it.

Latest posts

Back