Another kind of build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonehead

Skull Master
You guys are riding me pretty hard about a new build thread. Well here is a quick one. Not a rat rod, so it really doesn't fit in the build section.

My son will turn 16 in a couple of weeks. I took the last week off from work to work on the truck he will drive to high school with him. I figured life is too short to pass up the opportunity to get with my son and build a project together. So all the real work got backed up for a week. None of it was as important as this build anyway.

Almost two years ago I picked up this 79 Ford 4x4 stepside truck. I have told you guys about it a couple of times. It was kind of beat up, but has a 6cyl, and 4 speed with a granny low.
A great kid truck as I see it.

b4-1.jpg

Thanks E-man.

I grew up on Baja Race trucks. Just the era in the mid 70's I guess. And my son loves the 70's style. The truck is 30 years old, so we thought we would make a baja tribute truck. So we stripped it down and cleaned it up. (since I am a ratter at heart we rattle canned it) We built a roll bar, front and rear bumpers, put on a lift and tires. We replaced the wood floor in the bed with diamond plate, replaced the rear tail lights with LEDs. I know it doesn't sound like a weeks work.... but here it is a week later.
finishedtruck.jpg

My son took 150 pictures of the build. He is pretty proud of it. We still have numbers to put on the side and some vintage stickers are on order. We hammered out the major dents and left the ones that didn't matter so much. A fun build.

I never saw him so excited about going to work. Yep same truck. It is a little rougher than it looks in the picture, but it looks good from 20 feet away.

Very Cool....

That is quite a change for one week, the truck looks awesome. :cool:
Your son should be very proud of the truck and the fact that you
built it together (I am sure he is.... ).
Well done, Bonehead. '22

Nice job BH. I'm glad you have the time to spend with the young guys. Did you say that's a rattle can job?.......CR:D

What? You axed the lighted running boards and tape striping? Just kidding, the truck looks great. Myself I would run a front bumper but other than that I can't see a thing out of place. The 300 will do you awesome and you can really wake it up with just a bit of effort. I'm sure the one in my truck would out pull the 351 I removed. I have an Offy C and 390 Holley I got for $80, efi manifolds for $30, built my own high energy ignition for $27. Next is to find a good head for some porting work.
Did you put a dropped steering arm and track bar mount? It don't take much lift to make those trucks bump steer real bad.

man that was a quick build! i couldn't believe it was the same truck-thought it was photoshopped or something! it looks great, and you should know that a kid will never forget the time you spend wrenching together- i still remember the time me& dad put a 2 ton rear axle under a dodge pick-up and other projects as well.....25 yrs ago.....

thanks for the thread bonehead
HRP

Thanks guys, The pitman arm is coming. I did replace all the rubber with the correction poly c bushings. And I am thiking about dropping the rear of the radius arms as well.
The truck still has a ways to go. But we are inspired now for sure.

Latest posts

Back