Another New guy with ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for the pictures. I will do some of my bracing the same for sure. Not sure if I want to go that big with my cuts [;)

If I didnt do the cuts like yours, how do people do the A pillars? Do they line one up and stretch the other or stretch both to help decrease amount of stretch on each pillar? Any insight is appreciated.

In my opinion, you want to keep the windshield centered. If you lined up one side then did the work on the other, the windshield and front half of the roof wouldn't be centered. That is especially important with the Chevy cabs because of the peak in the middle of the front section of roof. When I chopped my '40 Chevy 5 1/2", I centered the roof using the peak as the center, then worked both a-posts until they fit. It wasn't much work. When I chopped my '40 GMC 6 1/4", the a-posts required more work to align. That's why Lucky had to section his roof, because his truck has such a gnarly chop. Those cabs are like eggs, the lower you chop 'em the more you have to spread them out.

Thanks guys for all of the great replies and help.

I decided to relief cut the A-pillars. It lined up great. I am having to do some more cuts in the front window channel to get them to line up. Also I used a ratchet tie down to help pull the a pillars together. This made it easier to line up with only on person doing it. Just a tip for those who may building by themselves.

Mike you are 100% correct in regards to the degree of chop. If I would have taken more out it would have been even harder to line up.

I will post some pics tonight of the front and rear tacked on. On to the doors!!!

Latest posts

Back