Another speedster thread, a crazy build idea, input wanted

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

21willys

Ok so I've been thinking about building a speedster with a bit of a twist. I like the bigger boxy looking ones. I think they are from france??
What I've been thinking of doing is coupling two inline 6 Chevy engines together inline for the power plant in a vintage looking speedster. I have a model A axle that I would upgrade to power drum brakes and a 9" with the big bolt pattern so I can run my model A wheels all around. Anybody see a issue with the model parts holding the weight?

What's everyone's thoughts?

I saw this model t speedster in the speedster thread. I never knew they used two engines back then.

3 weak first year shows today and this is all i got but hey!!! Actual surviving 1921 racer.

001-2.jpg

006.jpg

005-1.jpg

018.jpg

004-2.jpg

Genuine motors

Genuine T leakers, the last time I ran the SCVMTFCA , It cost more for oil than it did for gas.. when I was a kid, (that was a long time ago), a guy had a bucket tied under the engine with hay bale wire, He caught the dripping oil and poured it back in,

Attachments

• 4th of July Winners.jpg
    4th of July Winners.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 12
Model T belly pan.

A model T has one long oil pan bor BOTH the engine and transmission, they use the same oil. hooking to T's together is probably a lot harder to keep from leaking oil.

wood spokes

My wood spokes used to creak and make a lot of noise when going around corners I wondered if I was going to leave a pile of toothpicks on the road. 2 T engines , stock would equal 40 HP total

I'm talking about using model A wheels, not model T wheels. I've saw model A wheels on a lot of ratrods but none had two engines.

I'm sure a lot of guys run them, not sure how much most of them drive. Here's my take; 80 year old wheels that were designed for 40 horsepower and a top speed of 45 mph. Over half of them I find have obvious signs of damage, no doubt others have cracks and fatigue you can't see. Why risk it just because some other guys are. Not worth it.

I was just thinking of using them because they look more "correct" for the car and from the outside I was wanting the car to look fairly close to what one would of 100 years ago. I couldn't care less what everyone else uses.

I was just thinking of using them because they look more "correct" for the car and from the outside I was wanting the car to look fairly close to what one would of 100 years ago. I couldn't care less what everyone else uses.

I tend to agree with the others on the use of Model A wheels - fragile old stuff, also getting hard to find ones that aren't rotting out on the bead. If you really dont care what other guys are using, how about a set of 20" 100 spoke knock-offs? They are pretty cheap on ebay for a set (well, cheap for wires that is..), just paint or powder coat them and put on some Coker 20" skinnies.
That sure would make for a crazy long straight 12 !! Need to keep the revs down, to much vibes could tear up the crank on the rear engine, I'd think. :eek:

What about mounting the engines side by side? Hooking together at the rear with a drive chain or something like they did in the old days twin engine dragsters.

I tend to agree with the others on the use of Model A wheels - fragile old stuff, also getting hard to find ones that aren't rotting out on the bead. If you really dont care what other guys are using, how about a set of 20" 100 spoke knock-offs? They are pretty cheap on ebay for a set (well, cheap for wires that is..), just paint or powder coat them and put on some Coker 20" skinnies.
That sure would make for a crazy long straight 12 !! Need to keep the revs down, to much vibes could tear up the crank on the rear engine, I'd think. :eek:

Good idea on the wheels. I will check into them.

As for the engine harmonics, it's not nearly as much of a problem as some would think. Proper timing between the two engines seams to be a good suggestion in the research I've done.

What about mounting the engines side by side? Hooking together at the rear with a drive chain or something like they did in the old days twin engine dragsters.

It could be done, but, I want the car to remain long and skinny as most of the speedsters where. At least the style that I like are. Thats also why I chose the I6 instead of V8 engines, to keep it narrow.

Plus how cool would it be to have 12 pipes sticking out the side of the hood?:D

It would be cool if you could find engines that have cross flow heads. Old Toyota or Datsun engines maybe? Or maybe get a couple 270/302 GMCs and run Wayne or Horning heads. 12 pipes out one side and 12 side draft carb stacks on the other side.

Latest posts

Back