Anyone ever do this?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacksheep

Well, I have to break in my new motor next week. I had plans to make some sort of cross member under my engine hoist to hold the motor ,and was going to block the tranny up and let er eat. But, I was thinking yesterday, if I could leave the motor on the engine stand for break in,without the tranny. If I do this I would hook a chain to the front of the engine to keep it up in the front for added safety. Has anyone done this before?

i would block it up on the floor before i ever tried to start one on the stand. i have a store brought stand and i wouldn't start a 4 cylinder on it.

Ok, thanks. That's is kind of what I thought, but wasn't sure. I really don't like the look of that motor sitting up high either. But, I have seen folks do it. I guess that doesn't mean it is a good idea though,right? Haha. Thanks for the input.i think I will just sit it on a tire ad do it that way.

I agree with Troadster, the engine stand is dangerous because of the engine trying to flip it over.
You would have to put some outriggers on it to be half safe.
I built an engine test/run in stand especially for what you're talking about and it can get a bit hairy if you don't watch it.
This looks just like the one I built.

SSStand3.jpg

I started a cammed up 305 on a 1000 lb engine stand a few years ago. It was kinda scary, but did work. A 305 is not very heavy nor does of have much torque. I however, would not do it with a big block or anything with some horsepower lol.

I started a cammed up 305 on a 1000 lb engine stand a few years ago. It was kinda scary, but did work. A 305 is not very heavy nor does of have much torque. I however, would not do it with a big block or anything with some horsepower lol.

Yep, I'm cranking up a 460 Ford Police Interceptor . Think I will do it Nother way. Thanks guys.

I heard of a guy who revved up an engine on an regular engine stand and it flipped over on him. Those things lean enough when you are just spinning the motor with a breaker bar, so I imagine when the engine is running it will put some twist to the block.

I have started up more than one engine sitting on the garage floor though. :)

Don

I heard of a guy who revved up an engine on an regular engine stand and it flipped over on him. Those things lean enough when you are just spinning the motor with a breaker bar, so I imagine when the engine is running it will put some twist to the block.

I have started up more than one engine sitting on the garage floor though. :)

Don

Yep, Don I mated the tranny to the motor last night. And I am going to crank her up Monday evening. I bought a new torque convertor, because the other one looked suspect. I fill ed the torque convertor half way with tranny fluid, then in her clockwise until both splines mated up. The wife grabbed the tail end of the tranny,while I lifted it about 5" onto the two studs I installed into the block. That sucker slid right on with no problems at all. Now ,I have motor and tyranny sitting on the floor with the oil pan resting gently on an old tire. I added another gallon of fluid to the tranny until I saw full on the dipstick. Once the motor is cranked and running ,and tyranny in neutral I'll slowly add fluid until she is full. Wish me luck.

2^, that way you can break it in , check for coolant and oil leaks, set the carb and distributor and road test it......or just wait till the car is done.....

weld on.........[;)

Latest posts

Back