anyone from pa?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldnratty

This is a multi-part questoin, one im curious to see who is from pa and where at, and two, what are the freakin laws as far as fenders, exhaust and all that? I heard they passed a open wheel law? I really hope so, with my refund not even ready to be thought of its already burning a whole in my pocket lol, but id like to know what the laws as far as fenders,hoods and exhaust go before I go looking for stuff...anyone really know? Thanks a bunch.

I WAS from Pa, but moved out the last time in '82. When I was there you couldn't do anything to modify a car legally, but later on they did loosen up and I started seeing rods with no hoods and fenders on some forums. People said that certain years (I think older than 1949) had some exemptions and were allowed to be considered Street Rods.

However, I have also seen some posts recently that some new laws have taken effect that were cracking down on this stuff again, so who knows. I hope someone who still lives there will post and give you the straight scoop.

Move to Florida, we have NO rules down here. :D:D:D

Don

what to do

Go to the nearest motor vehicle office , get a copy of their regs and talk to the head man. Get his answer in writing and then build accordingly.LFE

Hi. I'm from eastern Pa.

As for fenders you do not need them anymore.

Hoods, you need to have the top panel and nothing can stick through the hood. If it does you need a hood scoop. If the windshield is less then 12 inches in height nothing can be above the bottom of the windshield.

As for Exhaust It must behind the cab on pickups and behind the rear side doors on cars. The exhaust must exit out past the body.

Now here the catch The car or truck must be register as a street rod.

You can go on the Pa. DMV web site and look up special construction vehicles. Or you can call them. most of the time they will answer your questions or tell you were to find the answer on there site..

I'm from the sprawling metropolis of Lehighton...about half way between Allentown and Wilkes Barre (farm country until a couple years back when we got a McD's and a Walmart...now it's attractive land prices for NY City and Philly people).

The laws have changed and the inspection rules and regulations have changed some....you don't need fenders any more. The hood can be eliminated...if there is a "Proper" metal shroud to protect the fan (that is how the state has it worded too...the "shroud to protect the fan"...guess from damaging it with your fingers while its spinning). And actually the exhaust can exit pretty much any where you want it to, BUT....it must be muffled. A guy in our car club just finished a 29 two door sedan with lakes style pipes coming out and ending at the end of the cowl....he has some motorcycle baffles in the end (or some kind of baffles), and had no problem with state inspection......but that's where it's different now a days. When you first build a street rod / hot rod / rat rod.....you have to take the car to an "enhanced inspection station" before anything else. It's one of the states ways to grab some more money from us, but bottom line is the "enhanced' station does the inspection and files the reconstructed title / street rod title paperwork for the state (provided it's built safe and passes the inspection), and in most cases can issue a plate right away (but not always). Once that's done, you can take the car to your local inspection station and provided they are up to date with the current laws can inspect your car from there on out (I only say that because there are some local hicks who are still stuck in the 60's with all of their inspection methods and ideas). I know the state has some BS going on to that even if you buy a rod, it may be subject to the enhanced inspection the first time.

The club I belong to (Wheels of Time www.wheelsoftime.org ) has a guy who is involved with SEMA and keeps up to date on all the legislative crap that keeps changing as the politicians figure out new ways to make money off our hobby. I know there is a webite that lists all the "need to do" stuff for hot rods and will try and get it so I can publish it here for any other PA members.

Thanks for the replies fellas, lets say I could find something with a good title, would I HAVE to get it reconstructed? I know your SUPPOSED to if you modify your vehicle in anyway.

I'm not saying this...........I have a title for my current project. I'm registering it as stocker, and then I'm going to do the "Switch" to street rod plates. Not 100% "the right way", but I have a sever dislike for some of the politically correct politicians we have in office. This new enhanced inspection is a bunch of bull puckey....not sure, but it isn't any where near the 25 bucks that the normal inspection is. The enhanced deal is only available at certian locations too....your gonna have to find one in your area (my guess is somewhere between Selingsgrove and Williamsport there has to be one) if you go that way. I'm doing mine as stated because there won't be any outward changes to the body, and won't be drawing to much attention to it other then what you get driving it to start with.
Picture008.jpg

My pick up os going to be a different story...that one is going to be fenderless and obviously modified so I'm going to have to play the political game with this

Truck1.jpg

Ron ..Come on and stop ya belly achin ..... LOL

Sorry Al.... can't help myself. I just have a problem with some of the BS. I'm not sure how much bull you have to put up with in Jersey, but here they are just a pain in the.......OK I'll stop............for now:D

Even with the new enhanced inspection. There are still problem from station to station as to what will pass. It is best to talk to the station you plan on using before your get the inspection.

Latest posts

Back