Anyone have a checklist or step-by-step?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonejeeper

Please pardon the newbie questions,

I've read a bunch of build threads, and everyone seems to tackle a build differently. Is there a generally accepted sequence of events to follow?

So far, the plan in my head is:

1. Find a good S10 for the frame, drive train, and title.
2. Hunt for a body. Not likely to find something useful in the salt-belt. Possibly fiberglass. (looking for a chevy sedan or delivery wagon, i think)
3. Obtain axles and grill.
4. Modify frame for drop, with bag suspension height in mind.
5. Mount engine.
6. Mount body.
7. Install axles.

Obviously, I'm leaving things out (interior, radiator, gas tank, brakes, etc), but any words of advice for a beginner?

What is generally used for a front-end?
Where are the things like batteries and wiring hidden? It's not likely that I'll be able to refrain from doing my usual high-tech thing for lighting, sound, nav, etc... anyone have cool tech in their rods?

Thanks for any help you might have for me!

Well a lot of build go unplanned and just with the wind I guess. Thats how I like to do it. I live in IL and I find lots of decent sheet sheet metal. I have thought about putting a radio in my luv but have not bit the bullet yet....if I had a v-8 i wouldnt even think of the radio.

I'm in upstate NY, and they are generous with the salt on the roads. Things from the mid-80's are generally rusted out to the point of futility around here. My first worry is finding a good body, the second is sourcing a front-end.

Why an s-10 frame? If you plan to run fenderless, a straight axle looks best. If you plan to run a straight axle, build your own frame. There are a lot of frame builds to follow on here.

Find a vehicle first. You kind of need to know what dimensions you'll be working with. You can always keep your eye open for a motor - size large is always good. A lot of the time, you can find good 50's and 60's stuff the salt hasn't completely ate up because they haven't seen the road for 40 years. Look for 1 ton trucks and the like. Or 4 doors, wagons, whatever.

Why an s-10 frame? If you plan to run fenderless, a straight axle looks best. If you plan to run a straight axle, build your own frame. There are a lot of frame builds to follow on here.

Find a vehicle first. You kind of need to know what dimensions you'll be working with. You can always keep your eye open for a motor - size large is always good. A lot of the time, you can find good 50's and 60's stuff the salt hasn't completely ate up because they haven't seen the road for 40 years. Look for 1 ton trucks and the like. Or 4 doors, wagons, whatever.
He speaks the truth, between the higher quality sheetmetal and less chemicals on the road old cars hold up pretty good. IMO 80s were the worst for sheetmetal.

The closest vendor for fiberglass bodies makes them to fit an S10 frame, and I'd found a bunch of folks who'd used them, so I got it in my head that it would be a good starting point.

The few boneyards I've been in had garbage, and it didn't get my hopes up for finding a good vehicle... but I'll keep looking.

Thanks for the advice guys!

How far gone were they? Floor pans are nice and straight forward and on old cars a.lot.of body panels are simple shapes. I'm not trying to talk you out of it but I'm not really a fan of fiberglass bodies on s10 frames......ablittle bit streetrodish IMO.

I dunno about bodies being too far gone! After seeing some of the builds I've seen where I thought the body was wasted and yet some of these guys turn it into a real gem! lol

You need to take a drive in the country side and look behind the barns.

If you find a truck cab, you don't need the bottom 4" of it - that can get cut off anyhow!

Personally, I would worry about finding a rig I liked or had to have before I buy all the extras. If you end up finding something you can't live without that won't fit/look right on an S10 frame, then you have an extra S10 chassis. Who knows, maybe you will find one already on a good chassis, or like others have mentioned, that has a solid axle in good shape?

While I am saving cash for my 51 F1 parts, I cruise the swap meets and look for parts that will work with what I already have... this way, if I find a straight axle to put under the front end, I won't have to refurbish the brakes and kingpins on the original solid dropped deal. Once I get the front axle/brakes purchased, a 9" can be picked up with the matching bolt pattern for the front brakes, either 5 on 4.5" or 5 on 5.5".

I know it is getting a 429/460, since that is what I already have and want to use... last week I picked up a nib 460/c6 swap kit for less than the cost of the trans crossmember.

I don't think there is a 1 plan fits all projects, I just wouldn't buy a bunch of stuff for a rig that I don't have yet, but, once you find it, you will then be able to see what it actually needs and buy accordingly.

LRR

lonejeeper, take a look in the Favorite Links column for How-To-Build-A-Hotrod, likely as close to a list as you'll get. One of the members included it a few months back, may have what your looking for, to get started. Good luck.:)

Before you turn one wrench you should be doing a lot of preplanning so when you do get started you have a blueprint in your mind. Some things you need to consider:

1) What car really turns you on? Sometimes we don't know that until one pops up for sale, but generally we have an idea in our head that one type turns us on and there are others we can't see ourselves owning.

2) What look are you going for? A car should fit some era and the parts used should reflect that look. For example, I have seen a lot of really neat cars that just miss the mark because the guy used the wrong wheels and tires, or the engine dress up items were too modern. You have to pick a theme and sort of stay with it.

3) How are you intending on using the car? If it is just for short around town drives that is one thing, but if you are planning on going on long trips it should be built differently. (Milder engine, overdrive trans, high rear end ratio, comfortable insides with ac, lots of storage room, etc.)

4) Here is the biggie..........what are your personal abilities and limitations. You have to be totally honest with yourself here. It looks cool and easy to build a car from the ground up, but any of us who do it will tell you each one gets to the point where we don't care if we ever look at it again. When it gets that way you have to walk away and go back in another day, or week, or month, otherwise the fun gets replaced with drudgery.

5) What tools and equipment do you own and what room do you have to devote to this project. Most of us who do this from the ground up have more money in tools than we end up putting in the car itself. Each tool you invest in makes your work better and easier.

6) Budget!!! We all have them and it will get to the point where you get physically sick every time you lay out another $ 100 for parts. I still do, and it seems like the bleeding will never end. Figure out what you have to spend over the entire build and then triple it or multiply it by 4!!!! Also multiply the time you think it will take you by 2 or 3. Those are just the facts of life.

Have fun building your dream. :):)

Don

Before you turn one wrench you should be doing a lot of preplanning so when you do get started you have a blueprint in your mind. Some things you need to consider:

1) What car really turns you on? Sometimes we don't know that until one pops up for sale, but generally we have an idea in our head that one type turns us on and there are others we can't see ourselves owning.

2) What look are you going for? A car should fit some era and the parts used should reflect that look. For example, I have seen a lot of really neat cars that just miss the mark because the guy used the wrong wheels and tires, or the engine dress up items were too modern. You have to pick a theme and sort of stay with it.

3) How are you intending on using the car? If it is just for short around town drives that is one thing, but if you are planning on going on long trips it should be built differently. (Milder engine, overdrive trans, high rear end ratio, comfortable insides with ac, lots of storage room, etc.)

4) Here is the biggie..........what are your personal abilities and limitations. You have to be totally honest with yourself here. It looks cool and easy to build a car from the ground up, but any of us who do it will tell you each one gets to the point where we don't care if we ever look at it again. When it gets that way you have to walk away and go back in another day, or week, or month, otherwise the fun gets replaced with drudgery.

5) What tools and equipment do you own and what room do you have to devote to this project. Most of us who do this from the ground up have more money in tools than we end up putting in the car itself. Each tool you invest in makes your work better and easier.

6) Budget!!! We all have them and it will get to the point where you get physically sick every time you lay out another $ 100 for parts. I still do, and it seems like the bleeding will never end. Figure out what you have to spend over the entire build and then triple it or multiply it by 4!!!! Also multiply the time you think it will take you by 2 or 3. Those are just the facts of life.

Have fun building your dream. :):)

Don

Well said Don. #4, 5, and 6 are very important. Decide what you can do, what you have at hand and a budget for the build that must include tools, etc.

Running tally for me.

Thought I could do it in a year, I am now working on just a hair over 3.

Thought I could do it for under 5k, I am now 7k into the engine alone.

I knew I would have to buy tools, I have probably spent in the neighborhood of 3k for tools, some I would have purchased anyway some I wouldn't have.

My advice, build a frame from scratch, mine is a hybrid of original and built from scratch. Three years later and lots of $$$ I wish I had just built the whole frame myself, would have been cheaper and easier. I am going into the garage right now to box it in, finally! Using a tube frame would have been SOOOOOOO much simpler!!!!!!

I should mention that this is my fourth build but my only build of a pre-war car. Previously I did a 56 Chev, 55 GMC, and a 68 dodge. These were simpler as they required mostly paint, bodywork, engine work and interior work. Current build has required much more with paint and body and interior being the easy parts.

My daughter 63 beetle is almost refreshing, one floor pan replaced, paint and body and interior, now just to get it done, almost there.

Thanks for the words of advice guys. I'm taking it alllll in. I hadn't noticed the favorite links section, thanks for that, I had actual work to do today. :D

For what it's worth heres my check list before I head to the shop.
Shoes? check
Pants? check
Shirt? check
Keys? check

I used to do improve so thats how I do a built. Kinda make it up as I go. Sounds hap hazard but that's the way it works for me.

Just dont rush yer buy.

Im bad about gettin wound up and impulse buying myself but figure out wat you really like and wait it out.
I looked at several things I was dyin for but didnt get and then ended up with my 54 ih. Im a big guy and it fits me to the t. I wasnt made for a 20's or 30's model ryde. Theres just not enuff room and by waiting I landed just wat I needed. Good luck, RR:D

list

befoe starting a project l make list and check it off as l get that task finished. as the build progress's, l add if something pops-up and check them off as l finish the task.

my lists looks sorta like this. mine usally end up in no particular order, l just write em' down when l think of it or see it needs done.[ddev

l. wiring

2. install the seats

3. carpet

4. gas tank

5. glove box liner

6. brakes and all componets

8. add infitinatum[ddd

thats how l do it, others vary the way they build....but this helps me remember, as l was told a long time ago by my grampa, who was a hydro mechanic in the 1950's, write it down 'couse writing don't forget.

Later :cool:

Just dont rush yer buy.

Im bad about gettin wound up and impulse buying myself but figure out wat you really like and wait it out.
I looked at several things I was dyin for but didnt get and then ended up with my 54 ih. Im a big guy and it fits me to the t. I wasnt made for a 20's or 30's model ryde. Theres just not enuff room and by waiting I landed just wat I needed. Good luck, RR:D

That's what I'm trying not to do, I bought the jeep on impulse, and while I love the thing, there would have been better choices.

btw, I noticed your sig, I'm a competitive powerlifter. What heavy things do you lift?

Latest posts

Back