Anyone have an old van and a measuring tape ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixtall

Hey guys and gals ..... I'm thinking of going solo in my line of work. If so I would need a van as a service vehicle. While everyone else is running a later model Savanah/Econoline I thought it'd be an attention getter if I had something older, say an early '60's Econoline or something of that nature. Anyway, I was wondering what kind of rear door height clearance there was with something like that. Ideally I'd like 54"" but I'm doubting anything of that era has it, but I could be wrong. So, I'm shouting out for a favour..... anyone with and old Econoline/Greenbrier/A100 have a minute to size up the rear door opening for me ? Looking for an overall height measurement from floor to roof; not an overall ""ïnside" measurement but the maximum height I would have to load something that doesn't bend. Appreciate the favour. By the way, any tradespeople out here using something of that vintage for a service truck ? Carpenters, drywallers, plumbers, autoglass guys, electricians, etc. . Love to see some pictures if you do. Thanx.

Sedan delivery

I put a clutch in a '60 Ford sedan delivery (truck-based) that a local guy uses for a work truck. He is a construction contractor. Attention getter, for sure!

Don't forget - the early vans had the engine inside, between the seats, which cuts down on interior space.

Just some more thoughts!

440shorty

I put a clutch in a '60 Ford sedan delivery (truck-based) that a local guy uses for a work truck. He is a construction contractor. Attention getter, for sure!

Don't forget - the early vans had the engine inside, between the seats, which cuts down on interior space.

Just some more thoughts!

440shorty

....hmm, hadn't thought of that. Don't know if it would be an issue or not, though.

I have a 66 A100, will measure when I get home from work. Also these era vans came in differnt wheel bases.

Cycledog ..... thanx. Look forward to your reply. By the way, any issues with your van ? Stuff I should be on the lookout for if I latch onto an A100 ?

Ok, my A100 is a short wb model, about 90". Both the side and rear barn doors measure about 52" wide. 47" high to the striker plates on middle top of doors. From the dog house to the rear door is about 90",with a longer wheel base van that distance would of course be greater, the widest part of the interior is about 69".
Hope this helps.

Cycledog ..... thanx. Look forward to your reply. By the way, any issues with your van ? Stuff I should be on the lookout for if I latch onto an A100 ?

The only thing I can think of is the seats are the same as the ones used in the Mopar super stock drag cars and have some value of their own.

I liked the 80 econoline I had because I could haul 12 foot stuff by shoving it up between the seats.
You might want to look at vintage srep vans, not very stylish and pretty much still look the same though.

Thanx for the input and help, guys. If I do this thing I'm really leaning towards an early '60's Econoline, A100, or Chevy van. I had thought of a step van as mentioned by the previous poster but with fuel the price it is I figured it would be too costly to drive daily.

Hey, Cycledog, that 47" measurement at the rear doors; was that from floor to bottom of upper striker plate or including striker plate ? I'm not too concerned about the striker plate as I could load my stuff around the striker plate. More importantly I need to know how tall of an object I could slide upright in the rear doors if I slid it beside the striker.

Latest posts

Back