anyone have any experience with optima batteries ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are very good batteries. I like them for several reasons, not the least of which is that they have no acid inside and do not create fumes, so they are safe in an enclosed cockpit of a car. They also charge up more quickly, and discharge slower than conventional wet batteries.

However, I have just switched to Odyssey Batteries. Same principle, but they are more compact and made differently. I had a space problem in the T I'm building, and needed a very small battery. I found an Odyssey that is only 3 inches wide, x 7 x 7, and it has 680 CCA. I had a very long phone conversation with the CEO of Odyssey, and he filled me in on them. They were the originators of the Optimas, but he said Optimas have a flaw, there is lots of dead air space between those round portions of the battery, and it contributes nothing to the battery output. To make the Odysseys, they first had to develop robot technology to build them, because for some reason humans can't handle the plates to build them. They aren't harmful, it is just that touching them destroys them, I think he said.

I paid $ 100 for mine, delivered, and you can run them upside down, on their side, etc.

But to get back to your original question, Optimas are very good themselves.

Here are some pictures of mine. You wouldn't think this little thing would start a car engine, but he told me they are using the same one to crank a blown big block Chevy !!

Don

Attachments

• battery 005.jpg
    battery 005.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 16
  • t installing parts on frame 007.jpg
    t installing parts on frame 007.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 13
  • t installing parts on frame 008.jpg
    t installing parts on frame 008.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 15
Don,
That thing looks like a lawn mower battery...
But if it works for you then let us know. I need to relocate the battery on my truck. That thing should do just fine.

And as always.....Nice pics...

i run an optima red-top in my 63 and have no issues. i love it. I'm glad to see someone here has had a good experince with the odyssey battery. That's the exact one i'm considering for my wifes volvo. I want to put in a monster cone filter but the battery is right in the way. I can't move it to the trunk either as i need most of the weight up front (wrong wheel drive :p ) So I've been looking for a smaller battery.

The guy from Odyssey told me they put this battery on their display table at shows, and people will say "what are you going to use that thing for?" So they walk over to the blown Chevy and crank it up time after time, and show them it has this same one in it.

I understand it works best if it is within 3 feet of the starter, but mine is more like 4 or so, but I think I'll be ok.

Don

Optima's

I use Optimas too but just heard about a new battery that is just like an Optima but only 1/2 the size or smaller... supposedly with the same crankin' amps. I'll try to run that down & post it here when I do. That would b perfect for my new truck.

BoB

I can also add that with Optima batteries, you will experience long battery life. I put Reds in everything I own and have had them last 7 or 8 years.

I wondered about that. That is worth the initial cost right there! I've got some buddies at Sears, that I can use their discount. Optima here I come!!!!

They are very good batteries. I like them for several reasons, not the least of which is that they have no acid inside and do not create fumes, so they are safe in an enclosed cockpit of a car. They also charge up more quickly, and discharge slower than conventional wet batteries.

However, I have just switched to Odyssey Batteries. Same principle, but they are more compact and made differently. I had a space problem in the T I'm building, and needed a very small battery. I found an Odyssey that is only 3 inches wide, x 7 x 7, and it has 680 CCA. I had a very long phone conversation with the CEO of Odyssey, and he filled me in on them. They were the originators of the Optimas, but he said Optimas have a flaw, there is lots of dead air space between those round portions of the battery, and it contributes nothing to the battery output. To make the Odysseys, they first had to develop robot technology to build them, because for some reason humans can't handle the plates to build them. They aren't harmful, it is just that touching them destroys them, I think he said.

I paid $ 100 for mine, delivered, and you can run them upside down, on their side, etc.

But to get back to your original question, Optimas are very good themselves.

Here are some pictures of mine. You wouldn't think this little thing would start a car engine, but he told me they are using the same one to crank a blown big block Chevy !!

Don

Come on Don, you know you only switched because the Oddyssey came in orange :D!

Jeff

I have an Optima red top in my Anglia and I'm happy with it. I have no negative issues to report on it's use. Although I may be switching to the Odessy because of space issues in the near future. I'll wait for Don to report on the Odessy before I change.

Optimas are great. I would recommend them anytime.
We are installing our third Odyssey next week in a customers car.
The only complaint I've ever heard was once.
A drag racer tried to use one on a 23T altered with no alt.
He said it wouldn't stay fully charged between rounds.
We installed a ONE wire alt. and cured his problem.......:D :D :D :D

Tracy

That is the one downside, not a lot of reserve capacity. But the initial kick is right up there.

In my Mustang drag car, I ran a 4 D marine battery. Weighs like 120 lbs, but it had lots of reserve.

Don

That is the one downside, not a lot of reserve capacity. But the initial kick is right up there.

In my Mustang drag car, I ran a 4 D marine battery. Weighs like 120 lbs, but it had lots of reserve.

Don

And good ballast too, if you had it mounted in the rear.

Latest posts

Back