Anyone remember these tires from the 1960's - '70's ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixtall

Wish I had a picture to show you, but I don't. Anyway, bear with me as this could take some explaining. I'll try to be as explicit as possible: When I was a kid, before I was old enough to drive, there was a guy in my town that had a semi-hopped up/never finished ( sound familiar ?) '65 Chevy van. Loved it. Porthole windows, jacked up in the rear, baby moons up front, slots in the back, Starsky and Hutch stripe, ...... sorry, getting off topic here; anyway, he was running tires I had only ever seen once before. Picture this: they weren't whitewalls, weren't white lettered, but sort of a double-rowed rectangular boxed-wall, if there's such a thing. Okay. Imagine a narrow whitewall, about an inch or so, but instead of the white being a solid, it was comprised of a series of a few dozen little rectangular boxes with spaces between them, so when the vehicle was in motion it appeared to be a whitewall, but as the vehicle slowed to a near stop it became appearant that the wall wasn't solid but rather this series of rectangular boxes that circumferenced the sidewall. Can't remember if these boxes were solid or hollow. O.K., does anyone know what I'm talking about or do I have to time travel to 1975 and ask the guy myself ? Li'l help here.

Checkered Tires

Can't remember who made them but they had like a checkered ribbon where a white wall would be. They came in white and red, but as I remember, they didn't go over very well, so they stopped producing them

Can't remember who made them but they had like a checkered ribbon where a white wall would be. They came in white and red, but as I remember, they didn't go over very well, so they stopped producing them

Hmm, ... think I know what you mean, but the ones I'm thinking of were different. Checkered to me would mean alternating squares of solid and hollow rectangles. The ones I remember were one or the other only, with spaces between them. Hmm, on second thought maybe that's what you mean by checkers...... well, it was the '70's ....

I think I remember seeing those. There were all kinds of attempts to dress up the sidewalls of tires back then........dual stripes, colored sidewalls, patterns, etc.

Don

Those tires sound very similar to something that "Big O" tires used to put out for a while. Don't forget that Kelly tires used to make a tire called the "Super Charger"

Hope that helps.

Sorry...can't help on this one.....I was there in the 60's and 70's, but I just can't remember a darn thing :D

ever hear of this brand of tire

How about a brand of tire called "Fleetwood Marader" (if i have the spelling correct), they had like a diamond tread, real deep. I bought a pair just from a local garage, they were L60-15 & they lasted forever(and back then i couldn't pull away without spinning the tires)

Er... guilty as charged. One day I hope to grow up & resist the urge to spin 'um?!?! :eek::eek::eek:

BoB

That's where you southern boys loose out. I can spin my tires without even trying 3 months out of the year - and without any tread loss!

I think I just saw a picture of those tires yesterday on the Old Car Manual Project, but darn if I can't find it again today. :(

Er... guilty as charged. One day I hope to grow up & resist the urge to spin 'um?!?! :eek::eek::eek:

BoB

Yup theres Tripper now. On his way to a crawfish feed.

Attachments

• drag race7.jpg
    drag race7.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 17
That's where you southern boys loose out. I can spin my tires without even trying 3 months out of the year - and without any tread loss!

I think I just saw a picture of those tires yesterday on the Old Car Manual Project, but darn if I can't find it again today. :(

Can you at least think what kind of car they were on? or anything about where you saw them?

If you do end up needing to time travel back to 1975, could you look me up? I need you to tell me that my Big Wheel will last much longer if I dont use the spin-out lever every time I need to stop. Oh, and tell me to stay away from a girl named Andrea when I turn 20.

Thanks in advance.

Hodag

If you do end up needing to time travel back to 1975, could you look me up? I need you to tell me that my Big Wheel will last much longer if I dont use the spin-out lever every time I need to stop. Oh, and tell me to stay away from a girl named Andrea when I turn 20.

Thanks in advance.

Hodag

I had an Andrea once, but I can't remember her name.

Latest posts

Back