Anyone store your car outside through the winter

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LilD

Ive been searching for a driveable old car as for years Ive bought project after project and want to get into something I can just hop in and drive. Problem is I dont have inside storage for another car. Mamas new van takes the front garage and my drag car project is in the other. So its either store the drag car outside or the new rod. Living in IL whatever gets left out is gonna get real cold and covered in snow. Hate to have either car sitting out really. So anyways who has the same situation? Am I just being too protective of my "junk"?

My 35 is in the garage and all the rest are outside.Dailys and projects.I lived in Mass. for 13 years.It snowed there lots.From January through May as I lived right on the coast.What I did was build a storage cover for my stuff that I did not want to buried in the snow.Then just covered everything else up that I would not use till spring. Its hard working on a project outside during the winter months if you dont have a garage in those climates.you could just drag them in and out for just the cold spells.And bring them back in when you get the word that the white stuff is going to fly.If all possible try to build a seperate unit on its own just for projects if you have the room.

My 35 is in the garage and all the rest are outside.Dailys and projects.I lived in Mass. for 13 years.It snowed there lots.From January through May as I lived right on the coast.What I did was build a storage cover for my stuff that I did not want to buried in the snow.Then just covered everything else up that I would not use till spring. Its hard working on a project outside during the winter months if you dont have a garage in those climates.you could just drag them in and out for just the cold spells.And bring them back in when you get the word that the white stuff is going to fly.If all possible try to build a seperate unit on its own just for projects if you have the room.

You probably love that East Bay weather now. Just some rain every now and then in the winter.

I tried all summer to get a car port put up next to or in front of the back garage and just couldnt get it done. I think the drag cars going out. Theres no gas in it to go bad, no seats or wires for the mice to chew up & no fancy paint to worry about getting screwed up. Put it up on blocks, throw a tarp over it and call it good enough.

Yeah, I'm not that far from you and have the same dilemma with my new acquisition. I'm gonna had my truck in the garage to work on this winter so my 'new' 48 Olds is gonna stay outside. My biggest concern is it's gonna sit in grass. I figure one year of snow probably isn't gonna ruin the rust much, but I don't like the grass.

I take good care of my stuff. I keep the 57 in the good garage out back.
100_1124 (Large).jpg

Nice! I can only hope my car port will turn out that well.

You know what they say, If you need a professional job done you hire a Pro.
That's a shame aint it? That place belongs to my D I L's dad. He abandoned the place in 79. He plans on coming back and fixing everything up, just hasn't got'round to'it. We did manage to get a 67 GTO off the property and got a title through her Mom. Here's a few more pics from the same place.
100_1123 (Medium).jpg

100_1129 (Medium).jpg

100_1127 (Medium).jpg

100_1135 (Medium).jpg

100_1133 (Medium).jpg

Everything I own is outside year around! Both my daily's & my Ford cab and frame. The cab and frame are covered up but not by much. Hopefully that's gonna change this weekend. I hope to get them at least under a roof of some kind by Saturday.

Thunder

My buddy, Farmer Don is giving me a 10' by 20' canvas garage. I'm going to sneak it into the back yard alongside the back garage and hope it isn't visible to the neighbors. There are covenants here that prohibit these things.:(

My buddy, Farmer Don is giving me a 10' by 20' canvas garage. I'm going to sneak it into the back yard alongside the back garage and hope it isn't visible to the neighbors. There are covenants here that prohibit these things.:(

I thought those could be an option but for the last couple years weve had one really heavy snow each winter and Im affraid it would cave.

The 10X20 canopy is my plan too and yes, we have the same restrictions. However, the way I see it, if my next door neighbor can park 5 cars and trucks in his back yard on the grass (which is also prohibited) for months at a time without a citation, I can put up a canopy to at least hide my stuff from the rest of the neighbors. I have another neighbor who has had a canopy permanently anchored to a concrete slab behind his house for over two years. It's still there so I'm willing to take my chances too. - Cool! 300 Posts & I've just recieved "SUPER MEMBER STATUS!!"

Thunder1

what is this "snow" stuff you guys keep talking about?:D

i do keep my 53 and my 31 in the garage but the other 4 cars are outside. i keep telling the wife we need a 3 bedroom house with a 10 car garage.

Latest posts

Back