anyone used "donut wheels" with other tires?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djh2003

I know these tires are throw aways. I have several and thought they might look cool on the front of something? anyone used them before? Mine are GM multi lugs. I keep a few around because they are good for getting sitting vehicles and being both bolt patterns is a plus.

I know these tires are throw aways. I have several and thought they might look cool on the front of something? anyone used them before? Mine are GM multi lugs. I keep a few around because they are good for getting sitting vehicles and being both bolt patterns is a plus.

Im not sure why they are "Throw away" to begin with. Im sure its the tire itself that has a limit, but i'm not sure you'll talk a tire company into mounting and balancing one of those rims with a different tire with a more permanent rating for fear of liability.

Ive seen guys use those rime for fat tire chopper bicycles before if that's what your going for :rolleyes:[S

I know some are thinner material then the stock ones, and some donot have the bead lock bump on the inner edge ( this was on a subaru)

The little skinny's are some of the toughest things I have ever seen. Back in the day, I ran one on the front of my bad ford tempo for a whole school semester. It took at least 15 5grand neutral whole shots per day along with a many reverse donuts. I run them on the front of my old A Farmal. One has been on for at least 10 years.

The little skinny's are some of the toughest things I have ever seen. Back in the day, I ran one on the front of my bad ford tempo for a whole school semester. It took at least 15 5grand neutral whole shots per day along with a many reverse donuts. I run them on the front of my old A Farmal. One has been on for at least 10 years.

Yet they advise not to go too fast or have them on very long. HA!

Are yours made of solid rubber or something?

being a west coaster i'm guessing when you say "donut wheel" your talking about the space saver spares?
If so, yes they were the only thing i could fine to fit under the 51 ford sheet metal i put on an 84 mustang. Mounted 165r15 tires balanced no problem and work well. :cool:

Attachments

• Mustang 031.jpg
    Mustang 031.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 42
A lot of Mustang guys used the aluminum ones that the Cobra Mustangs had and ran them on the front. They were very light and would polish up nicely.

Do

being a west coaster i'm guessing when you say "donut wheel" your talking about the space saver spares?
If so, yes they were the only thing i could fine to fit under the 51 ford sheet metal i put on an 84 mustang. Mounted 165r15 tires balanced no problem and work well. :cool:

HOLY S##T, DUDE!!!:eek: I NEED more pics of this car!!!:eek::cool:

Regards,
Shea:)

51 Mustang

Shea, something i worked on for a while, never got around to getting rear section finish, a gentilman from or. made an offer i could not refuse. heres a few pics of the build.

Attachments

• Mustang 041.jpg
    Mustang 041.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 16
  • Mustang 005.jpg
    Mustang 005.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Mustang 009.jpg
    Mustang 009.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Mustang 022.jpg
    Mustang 022.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 20
  • PC170008.jpg
    PC170008.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 30
Not a big ford guy but that is cool..

Shea, something i worked on for a while, never got around to getting rear section finish, a gentilman from or. made an offer i could not refuse. heres a few pics of the build.

Where the heck did you get the idea to try to hang that on a mustang???

Shea, thinks like that just jump into my head. It only took a little cutting and fitting. [;)
I do drive a willys jeeprod with IFS and cruize control. so who knows whats next?
V8volksrod???

I've been debating on doing the same thing. My logic is if the whole wheel is good heavy steel, I would suspect it's safe. Those warnings for donuts are for the tires, low speed rating, cheap emergency spares to get you home or somewhere to get the tire fixed/replaced. I've seen lots of good thick donut wheels that I'd heavily consider using. But I've been wrong many times before....

Latest posts

Back