anyone using laser guides?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sevo

I have been brainstorming my cab chop and I got to thinking of using a laser guide/level to help with the measurements. Also I figured it would help line things up on the frame when I am welding.

Bosch makes a nice one that covers all the planes and its self leveling.

Is anyone using a laser? If so what one is best for this.

thanks for the help

I have one of those Bosch levels... PM me your address and I'll send it to you. That's how I feel about using it.

Also, the laser may be level, but that means your cab/frame needs to be exactly level as well. To me, I feel that doing it by eye is about the best way. I mean, these are "ratrods" not $250k trailer queens. Just get down into it and start cutting. You'll figure 'er out! That's what I did and I think it's turning out pretty good. Not a single measurement taken during the whole thing.

2011-10-23_20-55-28_38.jpg

I have one of those Bosch levels... PM me your address and I'll send it to you. That's how I feel about using it.

Also, the laser may be level, but that means your cab/frame needs to be exactly level as well. To me, I feel that doing it by eye is about the best way. I mean, these are "ratrods" not $250k trailer queens. Just get down into it and start cutting. You'll figure 'er out! That's what I did and I think it's turning out pretty good. Not a single measurement taken during the whole thing.

Great reply thank you. That's exactly why I asked! I needed to hear to that it is a waste and to get my ass in the shop and start cutting. I have a very technical job and I tend to over think many things and WAY over plan because of it.

Thank you again for the great reply.

BTW nice chop!

If I remember correctly, your doing a truck, right? You really need to add crossbracing before you cut the roof off. The more the better. I wish I would've used more than I did.

Are you planning on leaning A-pillars or sectioning the roof? What body are you working with?

But you really need to use a tape measure and plan you cuts. Makes for less work when you weld it back together. Remember measure twice, cut once.

I will over do the measure twice for sure. I think the chop has me the most on edge.

If I remember correctly, your doing a truck, right? You really need to add crossbracing before you cut the roof off. The more the better. I wish I would've used more than I did.

Are you planning on leaning A-pillars or sectioning the roof? What body are you working with?

Yes I am doing a 39 chevy truck. I had asked about leaning the A pillars but no one commented. I really am confused about the angle to make the cuts on the A pillars. I did order this book http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1929133499/ref=oh_o00_s00_i02_details so I could learn about this stuff. I do better with a little more direction

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Chris

I've never personally read that book, but Tex Smith's "How To Chop Tops" should be mandatory reading for anyone before attempting a chop and a must in any hot rod library.

Thanks for the feedback on the book. I ordered a few other books to have a good reference source.

on a side note, what gauge sheet metal is everyone using to fill in your chops on the roofs or door panels?

Somethin close to 18ga. My cab is about .045" give or take depending on how much surface prep. 18ga is .047", so it works well.

I'm gonna repost in your build thread.

I recommend making straight cuts on the windshield posts as opposed to an angled one that the lazer would create.Random thicknesses of tape give you a good line to follow.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 7
I recommend making straight cuts on the windshield posts as opposed to an angled one that the lazer would create.Random thicknesses of tape give you a good line to follow.

Hi Snake,

In your photo the A posts have the angled tape, but above you say do straight? Let me know your thoughts

Also, if you guys are cutting at an angle how much of an angle do I need? How are you getting the angle that needs to be cut.

What he (I believe) was referring to is 90* perpindicular to the A-Pillar itself. The laser would shoot a line parrallel (sp?) to the ground which would give you somewhere around 75* and 105*. You don't want that.

Does that make sense?

I hope these pictures help explain it. Just cut on either side of your tape and you will have the straight lines you were asking about.

Attachments

• 2011-10-27_16-24-01_239.jpg
    2011-10-27_16-24-01_239.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 2011-10-27_16-25-22_233.jpg
    2011-10-27_16-25-22_233.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 10
Hi Snake,

In your photo the A posts have the angled tape, but above you say do straight? Let me know your thoughts

Here is a pic if you tryed to use a laser.Like "justsome guy" said it would make an angled cut on the window post.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 14
ahh I see, That made it clear. Thanks guys, I now see what you mean by the "angled " cut that a straight cut would do. The A's will not have the angle they need to line back up/

I really appreciate your help!

Latest posts

Back