Aod trans years

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agrezy1

so i picked up a 302 roller motor this past week for the fairlane project and have decided that i will go with the od trans.car has a 3.25 gear in it.and am building just for cruising with alot of hwy miles.what years am i looking for for non electric trans and what flex plate will work?the engine has a e6 build casting thanks in advance

I'm not sure on the build dates for the AOD, but they are avaiable everywhere in Crown Vics, Mustangs and pickups.

Flex plate balance has to match the crank balance and harmonic dampner balance weight. 85 and up 302's and 5.0's are all 50 oz weight. You will need a 164 tooth, 50 oz flexplate on a 86 {E6} engine if it has the original crankshaft.

VERY IMPORTANT: Make sure you hook up the TV cable! If you don't, you will burn out the tranny in no time. Early design with a throttle body vehicles used a rod that pushes, later designs with MPI use a cable that pulls. It's best if you can get the entire linkage, rod or cable, when you get the tranny. If the stock cable is too long or too short, you can get the Lokar cable kit, I hear it works great.

Here is a good site that gives you the adjustment procedure: http://txchange.com/aodadj.htm

The E6 means it a 1986 Casting Motor. The balance change from 28 oz. to 50 oz. in mid year 1980 which was the beginning of the 1981 Production year.

I need to check but I think the non computerized AOD were up till 1992

If my memory serves me correct, the first year for the AOD in a mustang was 83. They stopped making the AOD, for the AODE in 1994. Now just know, the AOD is not a tough transmission stock. I was into late model mustangs for years, and I found with anything over a 3.73 gear it would burn up OD, after a while. They are good transmission for daily use, but with the lock up converter, it really bogs the motor down, especially with the stock 2.73 gears, that came in them. They can however be built, and a good converter change works well with them. I would also if you do decide to go this route, buy a trans cooler. The crown vic would have a AOD through 91, and that is the same with the F150. 92 with the body style changes on both of them, they went with electronically controlled transmissions.

Latest posts

Back