Arachna-Disco

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakota

Rides a rusted horse
Today I learned a new dance step. It's called the Arachna-Disco. It's the dance you do when you walk through one of these guys web.

Attachments

• Big Spider2.jpg
    Big Spider2.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 52
No thanks!!!

Lakota,
No thanks... gonna have ta pass on that dance step!!!

BoB <---- just say no to spiders (unless they have a pranin' pony on the hood)!!!

Hooollllly crap! What kind of spider is that. I've never seen anything like it here in Canada. Gives me the willies just thinkin about it.:eek:

Yeah, we got 'em all over the place. Went to jump into my wife's SUV and one had built a web between the steering wheel and the visor. They're constantly getting into my rod. Or you'll find a couple between the ground and the frame or driveshaft. Before I can work on my rod I had to spray it with bug spray. The dang things are so big, you can actually hear them running. One had made a web across the opening where my grille would be. The spider was so big, and it looked so cool, that I sat and stared at it for an hour trying to figure out how I can make it permanent.

It's just a local garden spider. That one is average size, I've seen them twice that size. They're bite is non lethal, they won't hurt you. They just make you hurt yourself trying to get away from them.

I hate spiders...

Last edited:
We have those around here. Completely harmless but scary as hell for most. I dont mind them too much, they get rid of other bugs that I hate more.

I have a buddy who is scared to death of spiders. He would kill me for putting this on the web, but he actually called me over to kill one when his wife wasnt home. Good size spider, maybe half dollar size. It was in a wash tub sink, and he wouldnt let me wash it down because he was afraid it would dry out and come back seeking revenge. I picked it up by a leg, put it in a jar and took it home with me. I dont kill em' unless they bite me.

If you can get over the freak out factor, they are actually really kinda cool. Some spider web has a higher tensile strength than carbon fiber.

Hodag

I hate to do this but i will. I am currently working on my PhD in population genetics and work with a different species but i work with arachnids. What you have there is Argiope aurantia, the black and yellow garden spider. These guys are beautiful and make great webs but are harmless. We went to an older home to identify some brown recluses for a woman and her entire home was infested. In the walls, under the carpet, the whole works. She had never been bitten and had lived there 50 years or so.

Personally i still kill the little buggers when i see them but they make for a great genetics project so what can i do.

Spider!

Lakota,
I can't imagine having spiders like that, I would die if I ran into a big web like that and I'm sure that dance step would come pretty naturally!

BF

you guys should see the wood spiders we get at our house, with the leg span they are almost the size of my hand, frikkin scary. they jump too...... :eek:

No jumpers... please!!!

they jump too...... :eek:

Whoa!!! Now that is something I know I couldn't take... a jumpin' spider!!! I got bitten by a spider years ago & it ate a hole in my arm that I thought was never gonna go away. Took about 5 years!

BoB

We also have tarantulas down here...

The tarantula family includes the largest spiders known. The Goliath Tarantula (Theraposa leblondi) which inhabits South America, reaches a body length of 5 inches with a leg span of up to 12 inches. Tarantulas can jump as much as five times their leg span.

Attachments

• tarantula2.jpg
    tarantula2.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Back