axle is slightly twisted

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phils

Looking closer at my axle, I thought I saw a twist in it. So I put my angle finder on 4 different points of the axle. The angle is all the same on both spring perch bosses and the driver's side king pin. But on the passenger side's kingpin it is like 2-4 degrees different (it sits forward).
The axle is a 1947 Ford that was dropped a total of 4".
I'm redoing my entire suspension right now (see other recent posts) and would like to know if I should have this fixed and how one goes about fixing/bending it so all 4 points are set correctly?
Or is this common & I should I not worry about it and just run it?

Bad news. Sounds like it has been in a front in collision. Hard to set castor at 6-7 degrees if both sides are not the same.

Last edited:
The early Ford axles were made from the very best quality steel. I have straightened these axles by using a press and also by clamping them done securely and using big bars to bend em back where they were originally from factory. Do not use heat, just bend it till it's right. You could take it to a "Spring and front end shop" and pay to have it done. Don't thro it away, it can be fixed!!:D

Just check into the cost of having a pro do it and then weigh it against the cost of a new one. Reason I mention it is that a while back I needed a 2 inch narrower main leaf for a front end I was using. I had a new Speedway spring, but the main leaf was just too long for my setup. I took it to a local truck spring and axle place and they charged me $ 118.00 for ONE NEW LEAF. I think I paid about 50.00 for the whole spring new! They charged me one hour labor and set up time.

The days of the $ 20 an hour blacksmith are gone. :(

Don

Latest posts

Back