Axle question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockb1

Built For Speed!
I have a little play from side to side on my front axle. I am wondering if there should be any at all or no? I know that the bearings will move a bit and im sure thats all that is moving but I want to make sure. Thanks

Sorry the description stinks. Im meaning at the wheels. I can move the wheel side to side about 1/4 inch or so. Is this normal? [S

Not normal. Try to isolate where the play is then you can diagnose the problem. Is the whole spindle moving or just the hub? It's most likely worn tie rod ends, king pins, or wheel bearings.

it seems to be on the actual spindle. The berrings are new so maybe I dont have everythign tightened down right? All I have hooked up is the cross bar running from one spindle to the other. No steering yet. Its just a 50's ford straight axle.

Tighting the spindle bearings to snug then back them off 1/8 turn to allow the carter key to line up in the castle nut. Just dont overtighten the bearings. That causes fast wear of the bearings and race. Try that and see what you got.

Tighting the spindle bearings to snug then back them off 1/8 turn to allow the carter key to line up in the castle nut. Just dont overtighten the bearings. That causes fast wear of the bearings and race. Try that and see what you got.

Ya thats where I have them now. Could it be that I have the wrong size berrings? I ordered the kit from speedway, so maybe they arnt as universal as thought??

Did you order the spindles from Speedway. Did you by chance get the disc brake conversion? I did and used my stock ford truck spindles. In the instructions I was told to replace the bearing races in the rotors with new ones supplied. The new ones were about 1/4" in diameter too small. I called them up to let them know they need to update their instructions.

I can't tell you if the conversion works or not as the front axle is still sitting in my livingroom.

Sid

Did you order the spindles from Speedway. Did you by chance get the disc brake conversion? I did and used my stock ford truck spindles. In the instructions I was told to replace the bearing races in the rotors with new ones supplied. The new ones were about 1/4" in diameter too small. I called them up to let them know they need to update their instructions.

I can't tell you if the conversion works or not as the front axle is still sitting in my livingroom.

Sid

I did buy their the disc brake conversion. And I used all of their stuff. on my stock spindles, they did fit pretty easy. now I wonder if I should order another set from them or where to get new ones??

Latest posts

Back