Back on the Dodge again.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

Dan was out of town yesterday so we didn't have to work on his roadster pickup, which left me the day to do some of my own stuff. I started cleaning the shop but kept looking at my '39 Dodge truck. It has been sitting for a year or so since I did anything to it, and the more I looked the more I realized it really doesn't need a whole lot to get it on the road.

Most of the hard work is done, we rebuilt the 394 Olds, the frame is done, the body is subframed and mounted, the rear end is hung on coilovers and three link suspension, the chop is finished except for the doors, and the front end is pretty far along too. All that needed done for the front end is to finish up the radius rod mounts/steering box mounts, build some shock mounts, and some minor work.

So.........I dug in and started working on it again, but I changed directions a little on how it is going to look. Originally, I was going to put something like a '35 Chevy grille up front, but have decided to build it like a drag altered race car. All that I am going to put up front is a Moon tank and two headlights, the radiator is going to be hidden in the bed. To give it more of a race feel I reinstalled the front spring under the front perch to raise the car up about 1 and 1/2 inches in the front, but it still has a slight rake.

I built some 3/8 steel plates for the sides of the frame to mount my radius rods to and also to mount the '56 Ford truck steering box I am using. It serves another purpose because it strengthens the frame right at the front kickup once it is all welded in place. I also cleaned all the surface rust off of the frame which wasn't too bad because I had Ospho'd the entire car before I stopped working on it a year ago. Then I tack welded the brackets on, I'll let Dan weld them fully when we strip the frame down for painting.

My plans are to have everything semi gloss black, except for the wheels and engine, they will be bright red. For an interior I may use aluminum or maybe red upholstery, too far off to decide now. I have no schedule to complete it, I want to spend as much time helping Dan get his running as possible, so this one takes a backseat. However, I will work on it as much as I can.

Here are some pictures of what I got done yesterday.

Don

Attachments

• dodge making some progress on front end 005.jpg
    dodge making some progress on front end 005.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 93
  • dodge making some progress on front end 007.jpg
    dodge making some progress on front end 007.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 89
  • dodge making some progress on front end 009.jpg
    dodge making some progress on front end 009.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 81
  • dodge making some progress on front end 010.jpg
    dodge making some progress on front end 010.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 82
  • dodge making some progress on front end 004.jpg
    dodge making some progress on front end 004.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 169
You know Don, every time I see pix of what you guys have going on down there I'm crazy jealous. :D I love this truck, glad to see you got some time on it.

Just a little update. Dan has been coming home from work and going straight to bed because he is putting in some long days at his job, so that leaves me some free time to do a few things on the Dodge. Last night I went to the shop about 8 PM and worked until 5 AM this morning........it is nice and cool then and you can get so much more done when you aren't sweating like mad. :D

I actually got something very important done. I am using the old bed off of Dan's RPU, he gave it to me when he decided to go with a new one from Brookville. I really made out on the deal as it comes with a metal tonneau cover punched full of 224 louvers. All we had to do was shorten and narrow up the metal framework to fit my truck, and he and I actually did that a while back. There was still some work to do to finish that up, and get it mounted, so I worked on that last night.

The framework for the bed is 1 x 2 box tubing and is way overkill, but it should never bend or flex. I ground it all smooth last night and added four tabs to bolt it to the frame with. Then I got the sheetmetal sides bolted on. I forgot my camera, but will get some pictures of where I am the next time I go to the shop.

But last week I got a huge surprise. July 3rd was my Birthday, and UPS delivered a big box to us. At first I thought it was one of Dan's purchases, so I laid it aside, but when I looked at the label it was addressed to me. When I opened it, there was a brand new Moon tank, mounting brackets, and spin off cap in the box!!!! :eek: Turns out a super nice guy who is a member on Club Hot Rod sent it to me as a gift.

I immediately PM'd him and told him there was no way in h*** I could take something like this, but he called me back and told me he wanted me to have it. He and I have become friends through the forum, and he and I have even talked about the possibilities of him opening a satellite plant here for his company, and I could possibly go to work for him. But this was WAY too generous and I am blown away. I was going to settle for a Speedway tank because I can't afford a real Moon tank, but don't have to worry about that now. :) This thing will have a place of honor up front of my Dodge.

Here are some pictures I took.........I had to go right over and clamp it in place. Pretty cool, huh??

Don

dans30mastercylinder002.jpg

dans30mastercylinder001.jpg

Yea that's really cool Don. That was nice of your pal to send you that. Although more expensive, the Moon tanks do look better when viewed up close and personal. That one will be good hanging on the front of your truck. I've got one behind the grill of my Anglia but it's so hidden in there that I've only had one person notice it. I've got the small one and use it as an overflow tank. Look close and you can see it in there........

Well guys, I don't have a Moon tank. But maybe one of these days. Until then, I can drool over the ones you guys have. Don, the truck is looking great, and a Moon tank looks great there! And happy birthday.

Don, Receiving a gift like that from a forum friend indicates that the quality of the man (you) is as at least as high as the quality of the cars you and your son build. A Moon tank is 2nd on my list of items I have to get. First is an original Bonehead art object.

Ok... ok!!!

Ok, ok... looks like the old Tripper gots ta have a Moon tank now too! Just kiddin' but in my youth I did moon quite a few of our local fav hotspots!!! :)

Don,
As always... that is absolutely beautiful stuff but I see u've gone for a roof this time!!! :D I can't wait to get my truck finished because my nose, forehead & bald spot take quite a beatin' in the old Daytripper!!! Again... beautiful!!! What color is it gonna be?

BoB

The truck's coming along real nice. That Moon tank will really set off the front.
btw,,,Happy Birthday, a bit late.

Thanks guys. :)

Bill, that Moon tank looks good peeking from behind there. What do you keep in it?

Bonehead, I've drooled over them too, but Moon really thinks very highly of their products.

Bob, I don't know what it says about me, but it sure says a lot about Ken, the guy who sent it to me. He is an amazing person. Very successful (self made) but the most humble guy you would ever want to meet. He even puts Kids through college that he has never met, and he doesn't even want them to know who their benefactor is. He says no one helped him so he had to work 3 jobs to get through college, and he wants to help others so they have a chance at life. Never met the guy yet, but I really like and respect him a lot.

Tripper, I know what you mean, I drove my T to run some errands the other day and the hour in the sun turned the top of my head to a nice shade of red. :eek: That's one reason I'm looking forward to something with a roof on it. Plans for now are to paint everything a satin black, with red wheels and engine. I think I am going to spray red first on the body and bed, then black, and scuff pad the top coat to expose some of the red (age it a little). I want it to look like it's been around for a while.

Bruce, thanks, but you aren't late. I'm celebrating my B-Day the whole month of July. :eek::D Why limit yourself to just one day. :p

Don

Don, first of all happy birthday. I use the Moon tank as a coolant overflow. It's smaller than your tank.

...............and where are those bed pictures. It's been hours :D

Thanks for the wishes. I think I'm gonna put beer in mine. :D I mentioned before that when we were at Billetproof I struck up a conversation with a guy who owned one of the '50 Fords there. During the conversation he said "would you like some rum?" It was about 8 AM, so I passed, but he had a valve mounted under his rear bumper running to a bottle in the trunk.........he reached down and poured himself a drink! :D:D He showed me the in-trunk setup, he could install any different kind of booze in it he chose. Bet those hi-dollar rods have nothing on that guy.:p

Pictures tomorrow, I promise.

Don

very nice don, happy birthday. I like the beer in the moon tank idea...might get alittle warm tho. I cannot wait to get started on my 36 plymouth.

cannot wait to see more updates on this thing, u do amazing work:D

Thanks RR. But I actually found out how good I am not last night doing my own welding. :eek: They sure aren't as pretty as my Son Dan does, but I figure no one will see the ones I did myself. :rolleyes: Hard to lay down a good bead when you can't see what you are doing. :(

Don

Since you will be celebrating all month long..........Happy Birthday......

You and your two sons have always done amazing work. As far as someone sending you a gift like that, I think it would say something about the level of respect that we (and they) have for you and the work you do.

Thank you Flat. See, now you know why I decided to stretch this thing out for a month.........why only get one day of nice stuff said to you?? :D:D:D:D

Don

Hey Don, Happy birthday! That'll be easy to remember for me now. It's the day I retired.

Ron

Latest posts

Back