Balancing wheels with salt flat discs

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rat-on

Hey guys, I want to run the screw on type salt flat discs on steel wheels for my rat roadster pickup. If I do this, the outer wheel weights have to be removed. Is it possible for a tire and wheel shop to balance the wheel and tire combo close enough with placing the weights in the inside of the rim only?[S

well yes they can put the weights on the inside only, but no it won't be a true dynamic balance, i worked at my old mans tire shop for years, there is a reason why weights go on BOTH the inside and out. with weight on the inside only, a good tire guy can get it close, but it will never be perfect, also adding the disc my take it out of balance a bit more too......perhaps stick on weights on the outside won't interfere with the discs and should give you the best shot at a good balance

I agree with 59IMP on this. The best luck I had was to get them close with a computer balancer (static Balance) then take the wheel / tire and put it on an old bubble balancer with tape weights on the outside so it will have the "TRUE" dynamic balance. The tape weights MUST be put on the inset portion of the wheel to ensure it won't sling off no matter how fast you are going.

The only drawback to giving this information out is that you can't hardly find a bubble balancer anymore. If you do find one, it is near impossible to find someone that truely knows how to use it.

GOOD LUCK EITHER WAY...

I agree with 59IMP on this. The best luck I had was to get them close with a computer balancer (static Balance) then take the wheel / tire and put it on an old bubble balancer with tape weights on the outside so it will have the "TRUE" dynamic balance. The tape weights MUST be put on the inset portion of the wheel to ensure it won't sling off no matter how fast you are going.

The only drawback to giving this information out is that you can't hardly find a bubble balancer anymore. If you do find one, it is near impossible to find someone that truely knows how to use it.

GOOD LUCK EITHER WAY...

Hey Flatbroke, with all respect i think you've got it backwards, bubble balancers are old technology and only give you a 'static' balance on one axis, that's why they're not used anymore, modern high speed 'dynamic' balancers will give a true balance on more than one axis.....

hey rat-on, any decent tire store should be able to use the stick-on weights and might even be able to balance the tires with the disc's on the wheels.....

Latest posts

Back