banjo strong and reliable?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, im building my first rat, a 40's ford truck. i am debating weather to use a banjo rearend or a 9". i have a 9' but i dont have the banjo. how much power can the banjo take? would it be good for a daily driver? im pretty sure the truck will have a mild to moderate built sbc powerplant unles i can come across a flathead. i would buy the open drive conversion from speed way. any help would be great thanks!

Those Banjo rears are not known for taking much abuse with modern powertrains. Actually though, I believe that the axles are the weakest part. I think that you could use the banjo rear in a daily driver if you could refrain from "spirited" launches.

If dependability, strength, and the availability of parts were my goal, I think I would use the 9 inch. If you really like the looks of the banjo and can keep your right foot under control, you could get away with using it.

I think they are usually geared in the 4.11 range. You can buy stronger aftermarket axles and brakes though. If your gonna go for that "period correct" look, I say go with the banjo. The 9" is already there thoug....hmmm tough call. I think the 9" is probably offset which may effext your drive shaft/trans tunnel:confused:maybe someone can correct me on that one

Go 9", it cost a fortune to modify a banjo to take the abuse of a sbc. It would be less in the long run. Friend of mine had a banjo with 4:11's in a 29' Roadster. He clutched it over R/R tracks. If he didn't, it would snap his ring and pinion. Granted, these were NOS parts, not after market and it was 68'.

wow, i didn't expect this many replies. thanks for all the info. I think I will stay with the nine inch. Im pretty sure it will be hard to drive it carefully with my heavy foot. don't want any road trip problems.

Latest posts

Back