bare metal look?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahskip1

does anyone know how to keep the bare metel look without rust? Is there some sort of treatment? How durable?

The only permanent solution would be clearcoat,satin maybe.Other than that ,depending on how new or shiny you want the metal to look, I will be going with a oil / wax mixture to keep mine from getting rusty ,but it already has some pitted dark areas. There is a metal prep you can spray on, keeps it from rusting ,its for welding ,was on one of the TV car shows, don't know how it would last outside with rain,etc. tho. Just some ideas, I am sure there are more some other things that work.

There really is no way to clear coat bare metal for longterm rust protection that I know of. Clear coat will only adhere well to a primer coat first, like the base coat. If you simply apply clear to bare metal directly moisture can still get to the steel and then you have rust under clear.

My Son would have loved to leave his new Brookville rpu body and bed in bare if he could have, but the upkeep, especially here in humid Florida, would have been impossible. We always wonder how guys like Jimmy Shine keep their rides in bare.

Don

There's this coating... I talked to the company that manufactures it a while back... The told me it would be good for like 10 years if the metal was good and clean... Of course I can't remember what it's called at the moment I will have to think about it... I don't think there is any gloss in the finish. Any shine u would want would have to be done in the metal prep

I'll have get back to u guys when I remeber ... It's called bright "somethin"

I recall it could be thinned and sprayed... Brushed or even rubbed on with a cloth

I forgot to add... It's an industrial finish.. But I told them what I was wanting to do... The didn't see any problems with preserving sheet metal

my old rat bike stayed clean by wiping it down with wd40....for a week. it started devoloping surface rust after wards.

ppg makes an acid wash now, i cant think of the name of the product or the part number. but you spray it on let it sit for a while then pre clean it with ppg wax/grease remover. then you can clear it and it is guarantee it not to turn yellow and chip off, i was going to use it on my bed when i built it but the stuff was like 80 bucks a gallon with a 2 week shelf life or something like that. so there are new products out there that can be sprayed over bare steel then clear.

example.. harley had a bike a few years back that was black and red with a bare steel stripe down the center of all the tins, i am pretty sure this product was used when we repaired one of the tanks

hate to bring up an thread but corpo did you ever remember what the name of that stuff was?

im wanting to do some interior things bare metal but i don't really want them to rust even though its inside the cab away from most the elements i could still see them rusting

"Penetrol" oil will work. Mobart on this forum has used it on his jailbar in the builds section, straight over the top of the bare steel, older paint and pinstriping. The whole lot.

WD-40 works well for the desert racing guys, but those cars are only in the weather for maybe 20 days a year.

I know a guy that polyurethan his rusty ratrod and I have read that the right polyurethan will protect and seal bare metal and can be sanded and painted also. This what Im thinking of trying.

This is the ratrot he polyurethaned

Attachments

• Photo237.jpg
    Photo237.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Photo239.jpg
    Photo239.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 29
canadian tire sell clear primer in rattle cans. When i was a kid i striped my pedal bike and used clear primer/and clear coat on top and worked well.

Latest posts

Back