basic wiring ...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantwell.colton

Rat Rod Philosopher
assuming i am starting with just an engine --can anyone explain in words or doodle - what wiring i need just to run the engine --- i know most of it -- but when it gets to the coil and distributor i get lost -- mostly the coil really --

Power on a switch to the +coil. -coil to dist. Power on a switch to the starter relay. You don't need a resistor for a temp set up - that is there to save points.

I used house light switches. Ugly, but worked. Flip the coil switch on, then hit the starter switch until it fires off.

See if this helps you out.

Don

wiring_10001_zps3d557856.jpg

the picture you put up is a permanent set up though, correct?- my current problem is -- i had it all running fine etc but now it doesnt want to run -- but rather than trouble shoot and deal with all of the wires im not going to be using - seems easier to just rewire and get rid of all of the extra clutter wiring ...

Yeah, that diagram is for a permanent installation but if you just want to do a temporary one, for start up purposes, you simply use the basic parts of it and forget the ones you don't need.

What engine and distributor are you running ?

Don

Yeah, that diagram is for a permanent installation but if you just want to do a temporary one, for start up purposes, you simply use the basic parts of it and forget the ones you don't need.

What engine and distributor are you running ?

Don

its a mail jeep.. amc straight 4 - not sure on the distributor --- stock ...

Just to move it around: Put a switch between the battery and the coil.
arc0518a.jpg

Simple permanent system where START is direct and RUN goes through the ballast resistor (for points):
ignition-updated.jpg

I didn't draw that, I just linked to it on the net.

Ford used to always use a pink wire for a resistance wire (instead of using a ballast.) GM I believe, used pink on the ballast and purple on starter wire. The reason for the 2 wires to the coil: When starting, you get a full twelve volts for stronger spark. Then when in run, it is reduced to 9v to make the points last longer.

With an HEI system, it just depends on what you have. In general, you would remove the coil, the wire between the coil and starter, remove the resistor and run that wire to the HEI system.

I didn't draw that, I just linked to it on the net.

Ford used to always use a pink wire for a resistance wire (instead of using a ballast.) GM I believe, used pink on the ballast and purple on starter wire. The reason for the 2 wires to the coil: When starting, you get a full twelve volts for stronger spark. Then when in run, it is reduced to 9v to make the points last longer.

With an HEI system, it just depends on what you have. In general, you would remove the coil, the wire between the coil and starter, remove the resistor and run that wire to the HEI system.

- every day learn something -- i thought you drew that up for one of your own builds and just decided those were the colors you wanted to run ...

Latest posts

Back