BBC head ID

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burnout

Anyone know of an easy way to ID if BBC heads are oval or rect. port without taking off the intake? I don't know much about how to ID any big block stuff and any tips would be appreciated.

#049 and #781 (last 3 digits of casting number) are probably the most popular BBC heads. They are both large-oval port.

I`m pretty knowledgable about Big Block Chebbys. I`ve built 4 or 5 in the last couple years for my boat.

Thanks Donman, I am going to go look at an old 1973 truck with a BBC and turbo 400 combo for my project and he said it was recently rebuilt but didn't know if it had oval or rect ports. I am pretty sure if it is the motor that came in the truck they are probably oval port but the guy is really old and said a "race shop" rebuilt the motor.

If I get this truck, this will be my first rat. I have had and built a couple of nice small blocks but nothing beats a big block.

Gastrick, thanks for the info. I printed off the casting #'s for the big block heads and blocks so I am hoping to have an easy ID.

Latest posts

Back