Being a Jackass to New People

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
rules

l just try to help the new people from getting ZAPPED off the board.

many people helped me when l was the new guy and am grateful for that.

l want the new people to hang around and ejoy the fun,

still the best board on the web.

beside's, we need a fresh influx of cat pics [P

Later :cool:

Did I hear someone say CAT PICTURES ??????? :D:D

Don

cats%20dancing_zps5c2c7b7b.jpg

1) Please... Be Nice!

All this attitude about following the rules? :confused:

I don't quite understand all the attitude about doing intros. If you met someone at a car show and started talking about your car or his or any car for that matter. Do you stand there and do a formal intro before you start talking? hell no you you just strike up a conversation and pretty soon, you know who you are talking to. Why should it be different on these forums? Not just this one, but many of them. We don't need no intro! Keep talking or typing and we can figure out what your all about.

I don't think we need to understand all the rules the site owner has in place, he has them there for a reason and there are so few rules on this site it should be easy to follow them. we have the best rat rod site on the web, why bring up change? we should be grateful for what we have at RRR

I agree, my dad taught me that you introduce yourself when speaking to a stranger....or someone stranger than you.

I think Eman simply means to be nice to the newbies....not whether you make an intro or not...just don't flame people for asking what some on here think may be a dumb question...I know I've been flamed for a comment about someone hoarding cars....and by a longtime member. Just be nice....if I wanted to be flamed I wouldn't come here, I would have a conversation with my future ex wife instead!

When I first started going on forums about 7 years ago I really had no idea how they worked, so I just started chiming in without knowing I had to do an intro. I was taken to task about it, so now I do one. I think the reason the introduction is used on forums vs when we meet someone in person is because on the internet you don't have the person's face to look at, so you kinda want to know who you are talking with.

I also have a theory as to why maybe there might be some "rudeness" sometimes directed toward a new member (if that occurs at all). Maybe it is because after you have done forums for a long time you get burned out on answering the same questions over and over again. Please don't misunderstand that statement, I know we all love to help our fellow rodders, but there are times when I see the same question like "I want to put an S10 frame under my hot rod" and while I would like to offer an opinion I just can't muster up the energy to do it one more time. Does that make sense ?

That is why it is good that the membership grows and changes from time to time, it keeps it fresh and alive. If it were just a few of us old farts sitting around shooting the breeze the conversations would be very stale. But yes, we should always be nice to other members, regardless of their tenure.

Don

When I first started going on forums about 7 years ago I really had no idea how they worked, so I just started chiming in without knowing I had to do an intro. I was taken to task about it, so now I do one. I think the reason the introduction is used on forums vs when we meet someone in person is because on the internet you don't have the person's face to look at, so you kinda want to know who you are talking with.

I also have a theory as to why maybe there might be some "rudeness" sometimes directed toward a new member (if that occurs at all). Maybe it is because after you have done forums for a long time you get burned out on answering the same questions over and over again. Please don't misunderstand that statement, I know we all love to help our fellow rodders, but there are times when I see the same question like "I want to put an S10 frame under my hot rod" and while I would like to offer an opinion I just can't muster up the energy to do it one more time. Does that make sense ?

That is why it is good that the membership grows and changes from time to time, it keeps it fresh and alive. If it were just a few of us old farts sitting around shooting the breeze the conversations would be very stale. But yes, we should always be nice to other members, regardless of their tenure.

Don

Exactly what I was thinking on the face to face first impression that we don't get on the internet.
I kind of treat it like a clubhouse or my personal shop. I am always cordial to someone I don't know but if they come right out of the gate running their mouth about stupid stuff, then I believe a good dose of sarcasm is in order. That old "there are no stupid questions" axiom doesn't live at my house, there are plenty of stupid questions. Not to be confused with lack of knowledge or naivety though. We all had to learn somewhere but nowdays it's run to the keyboard before you even engage your brain and try to think something through.
But something that bothers me even more (mostly on other forums) is some guy who signed up last month bitch slapping an member who has been around a few years.
But above all else, this is a place we all VISIT and the house rules are the house rules, not suggestions to be debated, don't like 'em? then hit the bricks I say. Also thanks to the ADM. for bringing us back on track with tact, I know I need it once i awhile and am not offended by it at all.

i try to never be rude to anyone on the forums, but i do request them to do a intro and will try to answer their questions reguardless.

There are rules. If no one follows them, and no one enforces them,,,,,,, why even have them?

Should we hold their hands and give them a warm baba of milk to suck on too? The pork site enforces his rules way too agessively, but damn,,,,, sticking up for a crybaby that got his feelings hurt cause someone (or people) told him to do an intro?????

Thats overkill in the other direction. Id rather have too many rules that are enforced, than too few that no one enforces.

Maybe this site is just a tad bit too "pc" for me. I dunno. I'm taking a few days break to see clearer. [;)

See ya in a few days,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, maybe.

One thing I have always thought was funny was when a new guy comes on board and starts wanting to change the rules. :D There was just one on another forum who was offended because that forum only allows cars 1965 and earlier.........he was like " No one tells me what I can do !" :eek: That thread got deleted REAL fast. :D

It rarely happens on here, and usually it is just some bored 12 year old kid who came here to play around. But Tripper is pretty good about lighting them up when he sees that.

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back