Bellhousing Question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratdog

Trying to find a bellhousing for my SBC 350 and Muncie 4 speed.Engine is an 1986 One piece rear seal truck motor had 168 tooth flex plate. The bellhousings for those big clutch and flywheel are pretty pricey,is there a reason why I cant go with a 153 tooth flywheel and bellhousing,which are more reasonable. I have no flywheel yet and no starter.Will a 153 tooth starter or dual boltpattern starter bolt on that engine?If someone can clarify all that stuff I would appreciate it.

When I went to the bigger clutch on my 327 I found a 70's Chevy 3/4 ton and used that bellhousing. It was cheap and allowed me to use a 12 inch clutch. No more yearly clutch replacement. I would look for a 70's Chevy truck and compare. I am pretty sure you can use the other flywheel if you use the correct starter as you were thinking.

I bought a Hays steel billet flywheel from summit when I put a 454 into a second generation F-body.
I think it was drilled for both clutches but I'm not sure call summit and get a good tech on the line.
It's a toll free line and they don't charge anything for questions

If you have a little extra cash get a lakewood scattershield and block plate. You might find a deal on one if your not gong to race it . There is a thing relative to tech inspection at the tracks called SFI certification...
certain parts need to carry a current sfi inspection decal and some things like seatbelts, their sfi has an expiration date.
There are alot of good parts on the used market which are fine for the street but illegal on the track. in some cases it's cheaper to buy a new one than get the old one recertified

A gm car transmission WILL NOT fit on a chevy truck bellhousing. The bearing retainer hole is too big. but they do make an adapter ring that takes up the gap.

Actually you CAN bolt a car tranny to a truck bellhousing but your 4 tranny bolts will be all that holds it in alignment and you really need that bearing retainer snug in the bell.

A ford transmission will fit a gm car bellhousing with certain mods, just a little trimming of the input shaft and bearign retainer, a custom crank bearing, a chevy throwout bearing and clutch hat and a ford clutch disc...and redrilling a few holes...Look it up on the Novak Adapters website.

Latest posts

Back