Belly Tanker?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAT IHC

Anyone ever build a belly tanker and actually race it? I've got a wild hair and I'm going to build something to race some day and I really dig the belly tanker design. I'm planning on a driving out to Bonneville in August 2012 to watch and get some more info. I've done a little looking around and have seen a couple of builds. I really dig the look of the SoCal Belly Tanker. I've got the SCTA rule book from this year...lots of good info...but looking for some real life stuff as well.

-Troy

Attachments

• R18002.jpg
    R18002.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 25
there is a lot involved in making an scta legal lakes car. i built mine more traditional for that reason. it also takes a lot of cash, with all the fire suppression systems, approved cages, ect. good luck with the build if you decide to pull the trigger, they are amazing projects

Thanks Cornfield! Did you skin the whole thing from scratch or did you use an actual belly tanker? I've worked on 9.90 and 8.90 doorslammers a while back so use to different rules and safety requirements and after reading through the SCTA rule book I can see where the challenges would be. The project would take a couple of years for sure.

-Troy

it was an original tank, it was a smaller one compared to the socal car, but i do have another one that is a 310 gallon that i am going to build in the future

there are a few build threads on it around some where, maybe here of killbillet. the whole thing was a challenge. it is like fitting 10lbs of **** in a 5 lbs bag. you really just have to plan for everything in advance for the most part as there is not much room to fit in things you forget about on larger builds

I found a couple of places that sell glass bodies for the P-38 tankers. I would like to build one from aluminum, but I'm not sure how long it would take as my metal forming skills really are not up to snuff...might make a good way to learn more. might try to build a scaled down version using the same methods as a full scale just to get an idea. Thanks for the info...definately got the bug and haven't even seen a live race yet.

-Troy

There is a guy from Connecticut who has a belly tanker that he land speed races at Maxton, NC and lately at Limestone ,Maine. He runs a Ford flathead V8 . I don't know his name but I know he is a member of the Connecticut Street Rod club. You might search the club site to find him , or if you want I can get his name from a friend who knows him.

Troy, the fellow's name is Ron San Giovanni. You can go to ECTA-LSR.com...look under Records Cars, Special Construction, Blown Fuel Lakester.... The car number is 8150. I searched the Connecticuit Street Rod Asociation ( CSRA) site and he is not a member, however, I know he has a very close relationship with the membership as I have seen his car at their open house, and he travels to Maxton and Limestone with members. I'm sure that if you contact CSRA they will give you his contact information. CSRA's phone number is 203-697-9113. Hope this helps. John

John,
Thanks a ton for all of the information! [cl[cl[cl[cl

I'll look him up tonight. Even though I'm many months out from even starting something like this (if at all) I really like to know what I'm getting myself into. I'm heading to Bonneville in August to get a better feel for it as well.

Thanks again!

-Troy

I found these in a lot in S.C. last year, there was about 10 of them lay'n around and boy they had me drooling.

Attachments

• odd rod 001.jpg
    odd rod 001.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 10
  • odd rod 003.jpg
    odd rod 003.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 12
  • odd rod 010.jpg
    odd rod 010.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 8
I see aluminum belly & drop tanks all the time. Usually folks are asking between $500 & $1500 for tanks ranging from 10 to 20 feet long. And do not forget the drive time & fuel costs to bring it home. If you wait till there is one near you, it probably wont happen. Send me a PM with your email address & I will turn you on to some of the real deal tanks.

Latest posts

Back