Bias Ply tires

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CORPO

Buildin' it his way, one piece at a time...
I need a little help/explanation

I am looking at bias ply tires for my truck and I am a touch confused on the difference between regular bias ply tires and the balloon style ones. Is there actually a difference or is it just a nomenclature thing?

My assumption, is the balloon style ones budge out more on the side walls like a balloon???

Thanks guys

Hmm, I've never seen bias plys advertized as "balloon" tires nowadays. I always thought that was an antiquated term for tall profile, squishy bias tires.

Thanks Irish, what has thrown me a bit was how the company responded to my request for pricing...

BF Goodrich: 600-20 with 3.50 inch w/w: $289.00 each
blackwall: $183.00 each
700-20 with 3.25 inch w/w: $356.00 each
blackwall: $224.00 each

Firestone: 600-20 with 3.50 inch w/w: $286.00 each
blackwall: $183.00 each
700-20 with 4.25 inch w/w: $356.00 (balloon style)
blackwall: $224.00 (balloon style)

the fact that the quote came to me like this with only one of the size brand tires being referred to as balloon style...

LOOK AT THOSE PRICES :eek: I got some seirous penny saving to do... Im not sure I will be happy with black walls...

Ah, the old question, black walls verses WWW's.

I have debated this for some time on my build, it has 50 year old blackwalls right now.

WWW's will cost about 1k, black walls around 800.

At the end of the day I let my wife decide, WWW's it is.

Balloon tires usually refer to pre -1920 type tires mounted the very narrow wheels. Wood spoke wheels and split rims are not used to much today on road cars, only for a true restoration. Bias ply tires are expensive now but were cheap in the 50's and 60's. Less demand, higher prices. I have found a few deals where guys were going to larger/ smaller tires on their cars and picked them up. Keep searching, 800 is a lot to pay when on a budget, I have 400 in my tires, bias in the front and cheater slicks on the rear. [;) weld on.....

Hummm... maybe Ill just go with the BF Goodrich ones...

Its going to be like 1500 for black walls, and 2400 for WWW.

I have checked out coker, I had a catalog from last year that seemed to have more options then this years catalog, but I was only looking at the online catalog. Maybe I will email them to get some quotes...

LOOK AT THOSE PRICES :eek: I got some seirous penny saving to do... Im not sure I will be happy with black walls...

I hear ya man! It's amazing how much you have to pay for those things, especially since they ride/handle like crap compared to cheapo radials.

But they look sooo cool!

I hear ya man! It's amazing how much you have to pay for those things, especially since they ride/handle like crap compared to cheapo radials.

But they look sooo cool!

its true man.. I dont think rods ever look right without old syle tires...

Latest posts

Back