Big Bertha

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow thats an undertaking for sure, will be watching this build for sure. Loved the videos you did for shaving the handles and headlights, almost made me feel as though I could pull it off. Do you forsee much of an issue with the Caprice rear wheel wells matching up to the rear doors of Bertha?

Can't wait to see more.
Thanks about the video's. You can do it. Nothing to it but to do it. lol
As for the Caprice wheelwells matching up to the rear doors? That is one reason I like the idea of changing them. I don't like the way the wheel opening follows the body line of the rear doors, or vise versa. Looks a little crowded to me. The wheel wells on the Caprice have much nicers lines to them. Some people may not think so but I do. Not so square lookin'

Two days ago I started the Caprice diet.
001-8.jpg

003-6.jpg

005-6.jpg

Yesterday I started on the dash.
What a nightmare of wires and bolts. I have never seen something put together with so many bolts and screws in my life. The ton of wiring is not fun at all either. I'm still up in the air as to keep the computer or ditch it. I don't like that idea of all that wiring. We will see. I like clean simple stuff.
002-1.jpg

011-1.jpg

This was the fun part of the night. I figured I couldn't sell the windshield anyway so why worry about not cracking it. I made a hole through the seal. Shoved my saws all through it and went to town. The guide was smacking the windshield beating the crap out of it. The seal would get so hot it would start smoking so I had to keep letting the blade cool down. The sides was easy. The upper part had the lip so I just sit the saw sideway and let the tip beat out the seal, the whole time justr bashing the glass. Bottom was about the same way as the top. It was fun to not care about cracking one. I have busted good windshields using the right tools before.
Windshield is out!
004-1.jpg

I have been wanting to get out in the garage all day but have been feeling bad. I think I spent too many cold nights out there and I'm going to pay for it for the next few days. We are at 5 inches of snow and it's still coming down as I type this. Even if I was feeling well I'm out of wood and my ready heater is almost out of fuel so I guess it will be a few days before anymore work.:(

going to be cool when your done. ive had 2 (92-93) caprice wagons, the best mpg i got out of either was about 18mpg. i dont know what gearing i had in both but they do get up a go, enough to shock most ppl.

What do you guys think of this taillight swap? I have been unable to find something I like. A friend sent me this picture. I kind of like it.
db_IMG_2963.jpg

Look like packard lights turned upside down...

Not sure if that is the case but sure look similar... cool though.....

It's been a long winter and a very wet spring. I started back on the Caprice. A little more chopped off. I have a few more hours and it will be done. Then it's time to chop up the 49. I had my son vacuum the carpet before we pulled it. Never know we may use it.:)
007-8.jpg

Wondered what happened to this one, it's been a long hard winter here too and it feels good to finally have some decent weather to work in. Glad to see the Bertha project moving forward [cl[P[P

Latest posts

Back