Big Block Bantam

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you sign up for that? I could use a some of that on a monthly basis.

My uncle. who was deaf and never went to school died and left me some pocket change. When I was a young boy I spent summers working along side "Junie" on my grandpa's turkey farm. He was a great pal and along with my grandpa, taught me a lot about how to live a proper life.

Thanks for the positive remarks, guys

Bob,
Sorry about the lose of your family member and loved one. Please disregard the smart a$$ remark. I seem to stick my foot in my mouth when I shouldn't.
Certainly didn't mean any disrespect.

Condolences Bob on the loss of another family member. Hope you're doing well and all your health problems are past. The Bantam is looking pretty good.

Pops, no apologies needed. Junie passed away over two years ago and it took this long to sell the farm and settle the estate. The "bandit" faction of the family scored big and rest of us didn't.

My time on the farm, and the life lessons I learned were worth more to me than any amount of inheritance.

sc5080, I'm enjoying the build process. I always do. but, I don't see myself chugging around on the street in it or racing it full out.

Sorry to hear Bob. It seems the older we get the more our friends and family dwindle. Sounds like you have some great memories to carry on with you

I installed a Speedway disc brake kit on the front today. That allowed me to put the ET 12 spoke wheels on it for a photo op. Getting a rebuilt 400 Turbo transmission for it tomorrow off of Craigslist. Then a driveshaft. Lexan windows, etc. I have to pull the oil pump to see why it won't turn. Other than that it's time to final assemble.

I've seen those wheels called 12 spokes on various occasions, Care to explain. Maybe my brain is being to literal and just counting the actual spokes (which there are only 10 of)

By golly Bob, she's a beaut [cl:cool:
This is only a guess, they used to be twelve spoke with a four or six bolt pattern hub and when using the five lug bolt pattern they have to be ten spoke :confused:
Old Timers like us still lean on the old terminologies :p
Just a thought that ran through my dusty brain :eek:

I WISH they were spindle mount Halibrand 12 spoke wheels! Your are right, they are a cheap 10 spoke poor substitute for the real thing. But I got them for nothing from a life-long friend and they fit the image of the Bantam. My error. Sorry.

Picked up the rebuilt 400 Turbo trans this morning. The guy threw in a 9" Ford posi third member. Said he had no use for a 28 spline.

I dug a door out of the basement and put it in place to get a look at the whole body. I committed the ultimate error; I mounted the body with the doors off. now, the door opening is a bit smaller than the door. Gonna take some "adjustment" to make it fit.
You'd think I would know better after all these builds.

Got the front brakes installed and the lines run to the master cylinder. Measured for the driveshaft (14") and noticed the transmission tail shaft seemed very wobbly. The 400TH was a Craigslist buy from a big block Camaro and was used. Decided to get a new, rebuilt 400 turbo hydro also from Craigslist.

Been a while since I checked out the build. First off very sorry to hear about more family passing. It can bring out the worst in some, hope you and the wife have a better 2017.

The bantam is looking great. As for the front wheels, I would take a fresh set of 10 spokes for a street/strip hot rod over a 50+ year old set of 12 spoke that were made for racing and have had some hard use on the drag strip any time. Had a friend brake 3 spokes on a set of original 12 spokes on his altered drag car, not a nice deal. The 10's look right for the build.[cl

IMO this is your best builds yet buddy, congrads:)

Last edited:
What kind of HP will the BBC put out? Are you going to run a PG or 400 trans?
Going to be a fun ride to those meals with the guys each week.[cl

Tom, when my brother had the engine built several years ago he copied a magazine build. I think he told me it was 550-600 HP. I'm using a stock 400 TH with a shift kit and a Hughes 10" converter. I've a 8 3/4" Mopar rear end with a very tall 2.79 (roughly) gear. I know that is not an ideal combination but it was not very costly. I don't plan on getting the chassis certified so I'll be limited to 9.99 or slower, which is plenty fast for me.

It's going to be a beast on the street and I doubt I'll drive it a lot.

Latest posts

Back