Big Block Chevy Motors

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Takalek

This may sound hokey, but what is the difference between a Tall block and regular old big block chevy. I was told the tall block is an industrial motors like in a dump truck or something. I have built several big blocks but have never had any dealing with the Tall block motors. The one's I have I was told was a 427 and the other motor is a 366 and they look the same as a standard big block. There must be some interchangable parts, but the term tall block makes me think the rotating assembly must be different. I would appreciate any comment on this, I want all the info before I tear into them.

.400" taller deckon the block, uses 4 ring pistons. Different intakes and distributor. Regular BBC manifold can be used with adaptors. Cranks, rods, cams will all interchange. You can use longer rods and regular BBC pistons. Thicker cylinder walls can be bored out more and stroke for 500+ cubic inches.

to add to DMW's comment and answer another part of your question, the tall deck big block chevy is an "industrial" or "dump-truck" motor....designed for torque and low rpm they can be used to make a monster motor with monster power but you need a monster wallet....
there are a few oddities with them as water pumps and brackets are different

BBC Motors!

Thanks Guys I always wanted to ask that question but felt like I should know, when I didn't. I think I'll leave then intact and do some horse trading for something a bit more ordinary so to speak. Chevy, Ford, Mopar I like them all no matter who builds them

Latest posts

Back