Big tire/wheel advice

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigIrish

I really need to get some big rear tires on model A asap, but kind of hesitant to shell out the $1k or so for a full set of cokers at this point. Mainly looking for some tall and thin-ish tires for the back, like something off an F250.

I'd like to go up to a 16" steel rim (F250 size), but my crown vic axle is a 5 on 4.5", not 5.5" like I need. Anyone know offhand if there is any make/model of 16" steel rim that would work? I could always get some adapters, but would like to stay away from those if possible.

Thanks!

Also, I can get adapters to go from the 4.5" bolt pattern up to a 5". Anyone know of any cars/trucks that came with 16" steel rims and a 5 on 5" bolt pattern?

If your gonna use adapters, might as well go with the 5 on 5.5 F250's. Keep in mind that they went metric (in the late 90's?) and those metric rims are near identical but won't fit.

Get a set of skinny 16" old school mud/snow tires. Really look knarly.

That would be cool.

I looked at several places online and I don't think they make an adapter to go all the way from a 4.5" to a 5.5" pattern. I can get to a 5" pattern though.

Late 50's thru 1972 f100 used a 5 on 5.5 16 inch wheel. Most of the ones i saw were on 4x4 trucks in the west va. coal mine country. They were 5 inch wide and used a 7.50 x 16 tire.

good luck

That would be cool.

I looked at several places online and I don't think they make an adapter to go all the way from a 4.5" to a 5.5" pattern. I can get to a 5" pattern though.

If thats is the way you want to go check out some Jeep related suppliers, as the newer Jeeps are 5 on 4.5" and older are 5 on 5.5" so a very common adapter in the Jeep world.

http://www.redrock4x4.com/shop/categories/73_185.html

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92807_009.htm

Edit - Your post wasnt there when I posted... weird... Glad ya found what you were looking for.

You know I picked up a set of spare rims. Not too sure what they are off of. The junkyard had them. They are a unilug 5x4.75 or 5x4.5 16" about 5" wide. I picked them up for $20. I asked for a set of s10 spare rims and thats what they cam up with. You might check into these. I also know that wheel vintiques sells them new for $180 a pair. I had to check the yard first and im glad that I did.

Cool that's a good idea. Didn't know S-10s had 16" spare rims.

The only other 5-lug 16's I can find are '94 and up dodge rams so was going to try and find a couple of those spares (or a work truck with steel rims). Some of the new rams have 20" spares, 33" diameter with the tire!:eek: Probably too big for mine though (and they won't be $20)

Later model Crown Vic's came with 16 inch wheels...about 16x7 if I recall correctly.

Mind you, these are the one they use on late model police cruisers, with all the little brake venting holes all around 'em. Won't take a conventional hubcap, just use a plastic cetercap which clips onto the lug nuts. these are 5x4.5 inch bolt circle.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Shea:)

I scraped out a mid 90's chevy astro awhile back that had unilug spare with the 5x4.75 and 5x5-(or what ever fullsize Chevys pattern is) on it. I dont think it's a 16 though but is narrow. I've had the wheel on everything from fullsize 1/2 tons to s-10's

Later model Crown Vic's came with 16 inch wheels...about 16x7 if I recall correctly.

That would have been great. I couldn't find any police wheels or non-alloy crown vic wheels at the yards though.

I ended up getting some F-150 spares that were 16's and buying billet adapters. It actually worked out great b/c the adapters gave me another 1.5 inches of width which I needed to fit the wider tires.

Talk about tough to find the spares though - all the yards prop the cars up on the spares or other "worthless" rims.

Latest posts

Back