Binder V8s....hot rod worthy?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillbilly4008

Allright, Ive got a scout 800A with a travelall engine. Im pretty sure its a 266, Which is about 154hp and 220 torque stock. Mine has the holley 4bbl. Weighs roughly the same as an old hemi or a BBC. Its a keen lookin engine, and has some script valve covers. Almost looks like an old polysphere engine.

Anyone else used one in a hot rod? Tips? Tricks? Any parts interchange?

Is it worth using? I'de still need to find a 2wd tranny.

Binder V8 will never make great horsepower but will produce stupid torque. A friend of mine has a 392 with a huge cam and headers and tons of machine work. It will hurl the 7000lb truck it is in well over 100 mph full of fire wood, scary. They will respond well to head porting as they have large valves but tiny ports. You might find an intake off a bus that is on propane and have a carb flange welded to it. This will give you an aluminum intake and save over a hundred pounds. There is some go fast stuff available for IHC motors. Mallory distributors. Headman sells binder headers and comp sells cams. DON"T deck the block or the heads there is no adjustment for the rockers or valve train and the stock hydralic lifters only have so much travel.

Now thats what i wanted to hear! Im running a BBC in my current rod. So the weight of one of these shouldnt be too different. I found an aftermarket alum. intake for stupid money.

Latest posts

Back